MTD Heir 5 Vs. Used Stingray 5...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Apr 22, 2002.

MTD Heir 5 Vs. Used Stingray 5...?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2003.
  1. Go for the MTD!

35 vote(s)
  2. It's a stingray 5, man!

55 vote(s)
  1. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Guys,

Need some advice (again!)

I'm in need of a 5 string pretty sharpish (in the next 3 weeks) and have £700 to spend... and as far as I can see it I have 2 options...

I can either buy a brand new MTD Heir (or Kingston) for £699 (yeah they are a wee bit more expensive over here!) without having a chance to play it first (although that doesn't really bother me too much)

I can buy back my old Stingray 5 (see thru red with maple board) for £650...

The way I see it the Heir is lighter, has a 35" scale, a better string spacing, the Buzz Feiten system and a B string to die for.

Whereas on the other hand... well it's a Musicman innit!

What do you guys think?
    Is the Heir good enough to compete?

Flexibility is important as it will be used in both a death metal band (so it must have a good B!!!) and a top 40's cover band....

All comments appreciated
  2. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I would not recommend buying an MTD without trying it first. Some of them seem to have severe dead spots. The ones that are in the local shop have been through fret-job because the frets were popping out. I'm waiting for a new neck since mine has warped to a propeller shape. They are done from too fresh woods.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well I voted to go with for the stingray.. Why? Well i'm biased for one thing. I love my ray 5.... :). If you want the stingray tone, you won't get it with the MTD kingston. no two ways about that. on the other hand, The MTD is a great bass. either way.. but i'm partial to the Ray...
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i like the MTD's but man a 'ray is a 'ray. it should already feel like home. plus dont forget on the 6th day god created stingrays so he could play it on the 7th!
  5. watch it AllodoX! you'll surely get flamed for that remark! [​IMG] , atleast by me! Stingrays rule! Go Stingray!:D
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is the first issue I have heard regarding problems with the Korean MTDs.

Care to give some more info? What shop is this that has several that needed refrets? I've played 2 4's and a 5, none of them had deadspots.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I also have never heard of any quality control issues with the MTDs- i have sold a few, and no complaints yet-
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    since you want that much flexibility, i'd say go w/ he heir... i love the stingray, but its a very growly, one sort of sound instrument...
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    It's funny to me that a new Ray, which is more than twice as much as a new Heir, leads by only 2 votes right now.

Make that tied at 9 a piece.
  10. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Nah - not a new stingray....

a used on - that I myself used to own but traded for a 'coffee table' 4 string! A bad deal!!!
  11. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Guys - just a further thought...

If I was to add a pre-amp (Sadowsky, Aguilar or S.D. Basslines) would that push the Heir ahead in the race?

I'm pretty confused at the moment! These 2 basses were neck and neck before I posted this poll - and now they're still neck and neck!!!!!!!

Keep the comments coming guys!
  12. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've played two mapleboard 5's with dead spots and two rosewoods, a 4 and 5-stringer that were ok. The fret ends of the rosewood 5 were filed down while it was at the shop. Yes, the neck wood actually shrinks causing the fret ends to pop out. Cold and dry weather is bad for basses in this area, even Musicmans are notorius for warping necks around here. My Kingston has fret ends popped out, dead spots and warped neck. Hmm, I might post some pics if anyone is intrested?

Since I've seen no other complains, maybe its just my bad luck. I've had lots of bad luck with equipment lately (see my EBS post). Luckily I'm getting a replacement neck. I must add that the MTD records well despite all the troubles.
  13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    my 4 centavos...

as a recent Kingston owner, i'm now convinced that a single pickup, passive bass can be pretty darned flexible.

i'm still completely blown away by this bass. but, it hasn't been even a week yet since i bought it. honeymoon period is still in full tilt.

i've only played one Kingston. the guy i picked it up from said he selected the best one.

4 points:

1. i'm more open now to the idea of a stingray. i will definitely give a few of them a whirl when i next visit my local guitar superstore.

2. i don't doubt that there may be a few lemon korean basses out there. of ANY brand. without the QC of a solo or small luthier shop, you're bound to get a percentage of basses that fall out of the range of the "QC bell curve".

3. i haven't played an Heir. but, i've heard samples. i prefer the tone of the Kingston...hands down.

4. i too was thinking of adding a preamp to my Kingston. but, after rehearsal sunday with my Kingston and my new amp rig (QSC/Aguilar/Bergantino) i heartily decided against modifying my fretless K5.

what ever you decide, try to play a few of each. you can do that fairly easily with new stingrays. maybe not so readily with the Kingston. if you're gonna go MTD, buy from Bass Central. they are insane pros there and won't dump a turd on ya.

and finally, i'd recommend NOT dropping a pre in these basses. especially the K5/Heir. its an inexpensive bass and plays well beyond its price. BUT, part of its lure IS its price. i upgraded a MIM Jazz with EMGs and a BadAssII bridge and i'm STILL kicking myself for it. i finally decided to donate it to a local high school.

at least live with either choice for a while before modifying it.

one last thing, tone REALLY is in your hands (i know, i know - akin to saying "it plays like BUTTAH - ACK, puke!!!!). the K5 has an amazing array of tones, depending on your technique.

not to toot my horn, but at rehearsal, a few other bass players from other bands came in to listen to us. they were stunned with the K5 and wanted to try it. when they did, it was like the tone disappeared. i thought something went horribly wrong with my bass and/or my amp setup. when i started playing it again, the tone came back.

no matter what bass you play, cheap, boutique, whatever, your tone is "coaxed" through your technique from hours of getting familiar with your instrument.

i remember Brad relating a story of meeting Gary Willis. he tried his Ibanez sig bass, he said it sounded like Brad playing Gary's bass. when Gary started playing again, that old Willis magic was back. (not saying that Brad's a poor player, i've never heard him).

oh yeah, the B on the K5....YOW!!!!!

hope this muddles it some more for ya!

good luck.

my vote is for the K5.

14. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    OK, I'll state my opinion, and you should be the judge of it. Since I've never played a MTD Kingston (yet) and not a Stingray in 10 years, you shouldn't pay all that much attention to what I say. I think I have a point though, so listen up. :D (Do I contradict myself???)

The MTD Kingston is $699 brand new.
    The Stingray is $650 second-hand.

If you change your mind, you can sell the Stingray for $650. However, the Kingston will only get you about $400 back. So the Stingray is the wisest purchase, money-wise.

The Stingrays are well-known for good workmanship. Although I have no doubt that MTDs are well-built as well, they *are* mass-produced at a different pace and with lower quality material.

That's why I voted for the Stingray 5. To me, it would also be a "unseen"-purchase, so maybe my vote counts simply for that reason?

Good luck!

(Oh, let me add that I'm the owner of an MTD Grendel bass. It's as good as it gets. Never regretted buying that unseen. So if the question was a Grendel vs. a Stingray, you would probably get a different answer from yours truly.)
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    oh, but the Kingstons are not $699- they are quite a bit less. And i agree about the Grendels- they absolutely smoke!
  16. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    They are cheaper in US than in Europe, I guess (unfortunately). In Norway, the Kingston lists at about $900. So seen from Norway, an offer of $699 for a Kingston is not all that bad. ;)
  17. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i paid $486 for my K5.

but, the original poster is in the UK i think. he'll be spending more.

the K5 body is basswood.

what i found on the net about basswood:

Basswood - Basswood, my absolute favorite tonewood for guitar bodies, is becoming an increasingly popular choice as body material, mainly for having the ability of being at the same time a remarkable resonant foundation and relatively inexpensive. Tonal characteristics of basswood lends the fullest bass growl and crunchy high-end bite at the same time. The "baswwod" tone is dynamic and tight, leaving enough midrange to "breathe" your way through the densest of mixes. Due to its thight grain, is also particular the ability to easily accept all kind of finishes, from lacquer on some ESPs to the uncanny "Chrome Boy" JCH1. A handful of guitars also sport basswood necks...

no wonder i love the tone of my K5 so much.

18. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Adrian how did you record your samples? Did you record direct to the computer? mic your amp? Just curious.
  19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    went straight into Protools le - no eq - flat all the way-