Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir, Kingston, or Saratoga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Dec 14, 2004.

1. MTD Kingston 5

15.4%
  2. MTD Kingston Heir 5

25.6%
  3. MTD Saratoga 5

30.8%
  4. None of the above, post recommendation

28.2%
  1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm looking for a backup and travel bass. Which would you choose? If you have other ideas or opinions, feel free to offer them.

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    are you talking about travel to drastically different climates? If so it might be a good call to grab a bass with a graphite neck. I'm saying this because i traveled to the poconos one day last year when it was fairly nice in philly, and cold as all get out at my destination. I had to postpone the gig to give the roscoe time to settle out...then had the same problem comming back. With a graphite neck you'd have a back-up immune to that so you go ahead and play no matter what the climate. Wish i had one...

3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, different climates, but I'll be traveling back and forth between MD and CA (bay area). Actually, I could probably just leave the bass with a friend when I go home.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I dig the Kingston, great bass for the money.
    Nice, neck plays great.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sean:

Help me get my Sadowsky Metro and buy my MTD Saratoga 5. Especially since you can come pick it up in the bay area...

-Poon

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Keeping only with what you've listed, I went w/ the Saratoga...

7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You have other suggestions?

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Nope, you've got a 535, so you like MTD's obviously.

9. Saratoga because i own 2...well kinda. MY fretless 5 saratoga is mighty fine so i'm guessing all 5 Saratogas are cool

10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I like MTD, but I'm not married to 'em.

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    PM to my bud Sean

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I picked the Heir. But on reflection I believe that is just because I want one myself.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Saratoga, because that is where i live

Rob

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have a Kingston active which I purchased from Tim Cole - they are great basses and surprisingly versitile for a single pup bass. The preamp is great. Definately worth a look in for the $$.

Apparently the Humbucker in the Heir is in a slightly different spot than on the Kingston so there may be sonic differences....

15. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I wonder what they are, or if it is difficult to slap on an heir (pickup in the way because of 24 frets).

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should buy two for the retail price of 1 new one. Keep one in Maryland as the backup for your 535 and keep 1 in California. But then again, i'm just planting seeds in your head :D

Honestly, all bias aside. I'd go for the Saratoga. They are more expensive than the Heir and Kingston for a reason. In my opinion they capture much MUCH more of the 535 sound. The Pre-amp, Pickups, and overall look is much nicer. Mike Tobias knows what he's doing.

17. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    squier precision/jazz bass, cheap ibanez, pawnshop prize. why do you need an expensive bass for that?

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well,

I gotta admit, I chose a Saratoga, because I'd love to have one. More so than the other 2. I really didn't put much thought into what you want it for. It seems to me a Saratoga might be a bit much for what you want to use it for... You might be better of getting an Heir, & saving some money.

That way if its damaged in transit, you probably wont loose too much sleep over it.