1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mtd heir mod-which pups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shpongley, Oct 1, 2010.

1. shpongley

shpongley

Sep 26, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So I have an mtd kingston heir 4 string (i think the older version w pickguard and only 3 pots) and i want more specific tones plus the input jack is getting screwy so i think ill gut it, and maybe refinish or retop it while im at it!
    Looking at the pups, its an mm/j setup, and im hoping for more pronounced tone both ways:
    i want a really thick, vintagey, rib-cage rattling, dub-ish sound from the neck
    and a harsher bite from the bridge mm, particularly for slap, w nice growl and punch
    After some research heres what im thinking:
    Bill Lawrence J45 with an EMG MMHZ

Anyone have some input on this combo? I hope to keep my bass passive, and will probably get someone to help me w/ the actual rewiring of pots/input etc. Also wondering if any other factors could weigh in- I dont know much about wiring in series vs parallel, 250k vs 500k pots etc..

Mostly looking for some knowledgeable ideas of how these 2 pups would sound together (and separate). Thanks in advance!

2. Judmasterfunk

Judmasterfunk

Sep 23, 2010
    Hey, I just wanted to say I have the same bass and am looking to replace the existing pickups. Delanos seem to be the best thing for me although bats and nordstrands are great too. I personally installed nordys and barts in other basses as well as aguilar obp-3s and glockenklang preamps which Ive had success with. If you have any wiring issues I can help possibly. And I would REALLY appriciate any info on the progress youve made or advice youve gotten along the way.