Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD HEIR OR DEAN RAZOR DELUXE 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikesarado, Mar 25, 2004.

1. mikesarado

mikesarado

Aug 28, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
  2. mikesarado

mikesarado

Aug 28, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    And if u have others advices, others bass guitars (600-750 $) , don't hesitate !!!!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was going to tell you to get the MTD Heir but after seeing that Dean Razor, I would say go with that one! The MTD will definitely have a much wider neck and string spacing if that's what you desire. But that Dean looks mighty good! I do know the new 2004 MTD Heirs are going to be active at some point.

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

There's a dent-n-scratch Dean Razor NT 4 at AMS for $279.99 if you are looking for a 4.

5. mikesarado

mikesarado

Aug 28, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Ah !! I'm very Sad because americanmusical.com don't ship in Europe !!!!!!!!!
    And this price ??? 249 Dolars !!!
    Incredible !!!! Iwant i want i want it !!!!!!!

The price of this in bass in this site : edromanguitars.com is 749 dollars + 249 dollars from the shipping for Europe...
    Very Expensive.....

I want to be american...... :crying:

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a low end Dean and I've played some of the higher end ones and I like them a lot.

Do you have an idea of the pickup configuration you like more? The Dean has two Jazz style pickups - this will IMO sound fantastic for slap style bass. The MTD Kingston has a MM style and a J style, and I have no experience with this configuration.

I don't envy you the decision, but I suspect that both of these basses are excellent and that you will be happy with either. I personally like the appearance of the Kingston a lot better than the Dean which I think looks like an Ibanez bean bass.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you're willing to spend this much,, assuming your dollar quote is US currency,,, I'd get a Lakland 55-01.

But, between the two you listed, I'd get a Kingston Heir 5.

8. mikesarado

mikesarado

Aug 28, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Ah yes !!
    the Lakland Skyline 44 (four strings)
    what do u think about this bass ?
    I think that, between the MTD Heir and the Dean Razor, i think that the MTD Heir is better, more professional than the Dean...
    But the Lakland Skyline is a good option too....
    I would like to ear sound clips of this bass.....

Thanks a lot !!

9. mikesarado

mikesarado

Aug 28, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I would get the MTD, mainly because of the quality consistency of the import MTDs and because I have always thought that the shape of that particular Dean's body was goofy as hell.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I was going thru the same option list in the same price range as you...

I flat out love my 55-01. I spent a little more for the deluxe finish, & it looks as awesome as it sounds. The preamp controls let you do quite a bit in adjustment.

I was never able to find a Kingston Heir around here.

I played a SUB active, & liked its sound... VERY MM'ish. But, there's something about its feel. I felt just fine playing it, but I think the neck is heavier than the body. I felt like I was having to shift it continuously, when I held it in my lap. The preamp is fine, but you'll only get it to sound like a MusicMan.

All things being equal,, I'd get another lakland over a sub 4... no question. The laklands pre is more flexible.

12. Heir all the way. I have one and I love it. I was not impressed at all by the Dean Razors that I have played

13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    although i've played neither the razor or mtd, I can strongly reccomend the dean edge 4 improv i own--tough to find, as they're discontinued, but for $700 new w/ hsc i got a lovely czech-made neck thru w/ schaller tuners, active emg's, brass nut bass. I know they made them in a 5 too. I think it was kind of a sleeper in that range.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ditto this. I mean, Dean's alright, but the Heir is much nicer for essentially the same money. Both good values. I had a low end Dean, too, and while I did like it's playability/price point, I got a bit frustrated with (to me) it's "limited" tone.

Oh, also, on the Laklands, I know there's a big price diff, but I'm told the elex on the 5502's are so much better than the 5501 (I think the 5502 has the standard US elex!), that it's well worth the price diff. In other words, "Lookin' at a 5501? Check out a 5502 before you decide."

My .02...

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id take an heir all day long over a dean. the deans just feel flimsy compared to the import mtd which suprisingly feels very soundly built.

16. The neck thru Razor is far from flimsy.

I say get the Dean, it's loaded compaired to anything else in that price range. Neck thru, gold hardware, active preamp, brass nut, and grover tuners. As long as you like the shape, which is compact.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also wouldn't use the word flimsy, and the active preamp versions are nicer, but now I think we're talking a few hundred extra bux. I think the other two basses were about 500 or less, while the razor is like 750? That may be a problem for the original poster.

I think the bottom line is, as always, play'em all and then decide. :)

18. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    I would have to say the Heir-for the value and playability. I gave $350 for mine and it was in Mint condition when I got it. It plays and sounds great! Now I just have to wait until September for the active Heirs to get here.

19. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    MTD Heir of course!

20. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Wow. $350 in mint condition? I'm trying to find a passive Heir in mint/new condition and I'll be lucky if I can get $450. Of course I'm always looking for new basses... :oops: