Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir or Kingston (MM pup placement)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richperson, Apr 21, 2002.

1. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Has anyone compared a Kingston to an Heir?

Even though a lot of TBers had recommended them, I had avoided Kingstons because I thought they would have limited tone and wouldn't meet my needs. But I went to Bass Exchange recently and the guys there sat me down with one (Thanks guys). I had never played a 5 string before where the low B played and sounded just like the other strings. I was amazed.

So now I am very interested in MTDs. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play an Heir, which I have heard are no longer made, but still available. I liked the sound of the Kingston, but would like to have the versatility of the neck J pup. But, the MM at the bridge is in different locations on the Kingston and on the Heir (Heir is closer to the bridge). Does anyone know how this effects the sound of the bridge pup and does the low B sound as consistant with the Heir?

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I bought the 1st kingston 5 my local shop got in 18 months ago,and have also played on an heir 5 they had for a while.My opinion is that while the neck PU does allow for more variety in the sound of the Heir,when using only the bridge PU,the Kingston sounds better to me than the Heir,a little rounder and ballsier.The B on the Heir is good,no problem there,but I don't regret the Kingston and will keep it despite the arrival of the Heir.YMMV

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    go to my site- www.access-bass.com
    surf around, youll find my humble samples of the Kingston and the Heir- draw your own conclusion-peace!- Adrian

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Adrian, have they really discontinued the Heir?

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Hey, jeff-
    no , they are alive and well- where did you hear that?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Adrian, I saw it in the original post in this thread. i snipped out the part and quoted it above.

7. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    An MTD dealer (who shall remane nameless) told me that they were not manufacturing new ones at this time, but some old stock was still available. That and the absence of reference on the MTD web site--other than the price list--led me to believe they were discontinued. I might have misunderstood him.

I know the Grendel is being discontinued and revived in Korea, but haven't heard anything else on the Heir.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i will contact Mike Tobias about this and have a response by morning, im sure- the MTD distributorship has indded changed- but ive neard nothing of a discontinuation of Heirs- also , the Grendels are no longer in production, the new Saratoga will be essentially a Koren Grendel- with a coupel of slight changes-

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i agree with virtual.ray about the comparison between the kingston and the heir.

thanks to adrian for posting some fantastic clips of both.

fred