Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir or LB75P Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 16, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have an oppertunity to get the MTD Heir for $400 what do you guys think i should do it is a lot cheepr then the carvin and from what i hear they are good basses. Do you think the price is right. Thanks

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    If you buy a Carvin brand new you'll probably get about $50 more on the used market than what you will pay for the Heir now should you ever decide to sell it. That's a greater loss. You should always be able to get about $350 to $400 for the Heir. I owned a Carvin 4 for awhile. It was nicely constructed but not my thing so I sold it. I owned an MTD Kingston 5 for a week. It was a great bass for its price range but something else came up and I sold it. If I had to take one of them back it would be the MTD. It just had a little more character to me.

I'm not sure what your budget is but the Peavey Cirrus is the best deal on the used mkt period. Boutique construction, great tone, fretwork, playability and quality. They can usually be found for around $750.

My thoughts...

3. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Mike, how did the heir compare with the carvin playability wise.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I had a MTD Kingston for almost 2 years and two used Carvin LB75's for 4 months.

I loved the neck on the MTD!!! It was a perfect fit. I did have issues with the frets which MTD took care of right away(Good customer support).

It also did not stay in tune very well and needed adjustments done to the neck and string height very often. I am a average to hard player.
    The tone was limited, and kinda harsh sounding. I got a Modulus because I didnt want to tweak every couple months.

The Carvin after a good setup it played well and it stayed that way. Stays in tune very well, fret work is perfect. Very predictable were the MTD was not.
    The tone is pretty good but not the best. Im putting some Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes in it which should help in a big way.

If it was me and someone was buying this as a gift. I would take a Carvin with no regrets.

If I was buying it and their was a budget to consider I would take the MTD.

5. MAJOR METAL

the guy comes off saying $400 firm i inquired about location to meet and i realized $400 is too much so i said i can only do $350. We will see where it goes