Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir Owners Help Me Out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sweets, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    How many of you guys have replaced the stock passive electronics in a MTD Heir or Kingston 4-string with an active preamp and pickups? Is there a whole lot of modification involved? Does it all fit?

2. I left the stock pickups but added an Aguilar 3-band preamp. Drilled two holes for the extra pots, two holes for the toggles (one is mid boost and one is active bypass), wire-tied the wires as neatly as possible, and crammed everything into the cavity. Went with 18volt supply, so it's a bit cramped, but not too bad. Mostly allot of soldering, and that little bit of drilling, that's all.

The Aguilar comes with several config possibilities (a bunch of schematics accompany the preamp), so you have to make a choice. That will determine how many pots and things you'll have to add. Not hard at all. Took me a couple evenings. My pot locations are just a bit different from those on the new active Heir. I'm having digital camera problems right now, so I cannot take a photo. I'll post something when I get it fixed.

3. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks man. I've actually got an OBP-3 that's wired with one pot as vol/blend, one as mid (with push/pull passive/active) and a Treble/Bass stack. And it's only 9V, so hopefully I don't have to do too much modification. The only problem I may foresee is that the Vol/Blend stack is a pretty damn tall Warwick pot, so hopefully it doesn't stick out too much.