Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir pickguard removal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zac2944, Aug 3, 2005.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Has anyone every seen what is under the aweful pickguard on a Heir? Is the finish on the burst models consistant under the pickguard? I might consider purchasing one is the pickguard can be removed.

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    the finish is fine, but the neck "block" (for lack of a better term) extends under the pick guard and is raw wood..doen't llok too bad. I'll try and take a pic tonight and show ya.

3. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    duckbutter. you rock. If you could post a pic I would be eternally grateful.

BTW, your screen name is one of my TB favorites. I'm hijacking my own thread, but what is "duckbutter"?

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You shouldn't have a problem finding the ones without pickguards. They're available from various bass retailers.

-Eric.

5. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Actually I am. I'm interested in a fretless. All the ones I found have pickguards. Can you let me know who has fretless MTD's w/o pickguards?

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Try calling Bass Central or BassNW?

7. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I just sent them emails, so I should hear back soon.

8. [​IMG]

Like that?

That's one from NAMM w/ Active Electronics according to the site.

EDIT: [​IMG]
    There's another one.

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks ;)

Well...I'm not too sure the explanation could be told on here, it's kinda nasty. It has to do with a sex act and what type of liquid is produced when done…it’s a stupid kid thing.(sorry) :bag:
    But it’s also the name of one of my basses, cause it's smooth. :D

10. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That's the idea, but these basses never had pickguards on them. I want to know if the pickguards are hiding something unsightly. I want to achieve a look similar to the 2 pics you posted, but the only fretless Heirs I can find have pickguards.

11. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005

There ya go, only difference is that if there is a pick guard on it, the neck wood underneath is bare and unfinished. The body is fine.

12. I took mine off, and in the place at the end of the neck, I had a luthier-friend of mine make a maccasar ebony piece that we screwed in, like the American-made MTD's. Looks great. I'm used to the pick guard holes by now; you can't see them from any distance, and the routing for the J pup isn't too oversize. Looks OK. Certainly better than that god-awful pick guard.

I did e-mail Mike T. awhile back and asked about a black pick guard. Has to look better than the white. He said he had a few at that time and would sell me one. I never bought it, though. Decided to go with the no pick guard look.

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Here's mine:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2233138&postcount=1

I have thought about alternatives to the white pickguard (red tortoise? I got a suggestion for clear) but have gotten used to it bare. Since I'm just a hobbyist and don't play out, I'm in no hurry.

Mike T is an aquaintance of mine, and at some point I will visit his shop in NY and look into a truss rod cover that leaves the maple top intact. Then there's the screw holes.....

14. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    [​IMG]

Sorry it took so long.

15. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    [​IMG]

here's a better pic.