MTD Heir vs. Beast 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Studenick, Apr 27, 2002.

1. I've pretty much settled on MTD as my bass purchase. But I have one unresolved dilemma:

The Heir or the Beast.

I managed to find a Beast 5-string (no easy feat) with maple neck and can get it shipped to my door for just under $700 including gig bag (of unknown origin).

OTOH for about $150 less, I can get an Heir.

Down the road, either bass WILL get a pre-amp dropped into it.

So it breaks down like this:

Heir - MM/J pup configuration, Buzz Feiten, less $$, but made in Korea

Beast - J/J pups, no Buzz Feiten (?), more $$, but made in Czech Republic
  2. richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I hate to muck up your decision, but there is a new MTD 5-string on ebay that I think is one of the last Czech grendels (search MTD 5-string). It has a bart preamp with flame maple top. No guarantees, but I would guess that the reserve is just above what you are looking at for the beast. I don't know the reserve, but I just bought one from the same seller on ebay and I would assume the reserve is similar.

I had the same problem making a decision between the Kingston, which I loved the sound of, and Heir, Beast and Grendel. I finally decided that the Grendel was too good of a deal to pass up.

Good Luck.
  3. Is this guy a dealer/shop or individual?

Did his price include gigbag/HSC and shipping?

Lemme know when your bass arrives and what kinda condition it's in.

I'm definitely interested in pursuing this a bit.

4. richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    It is an MTD dealer in Brooklyn. Their web site is Buy prices on the web site are much more than the ebay reserve. The basses are new, so they should be in new condition. There is no gig bag and shipping is extra. Unfortunately, my bass won't arrive until after the current Grendel on ebay is finished. But there are other good descriptions on previous posts.

BTW, I sent a Mike Tobias an email and he confirmed that he did the electronics and setup for the last 40 Grendels that were produced. That was added value for me.

Good Luck