1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mtd Heir vs Ibanez sr1005 Prestige EFM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cheappoison, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Cheappoison

Cheappoison

Jan 6, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I thought i'd drop this on here to get some ideas what people would think is the best one to get of those 2. Value and versatility wise.

The biggest thing i am concerned about is the 19" String spacing on the Mtd. But i figured i could get used to it.
    And i know some of those ibanez models were made in indonesia at first, but this is a recent one so it should be Japanese.

Or any other thoughts about any of those 2

2. I have owned both and consider them somewhat different beasts.

Ibanez is a 34" neck-though, slim neck, 16.5mm bridge spacing, and soapbar pups.
    MTD is a 35" bolt on, has a substantially beefier neck, 19mm spacing, and J/MM pups.

They're so different feel wise, that unless you really aren't at all picky, I'd strongly urge you to play both before settling on one or the other.

If you're purchasing online, it can be a bit tricky finding these models in stores. I try to find local substitutes that will feel somewhat representative. In my neck of the woods, Ibanez SR's are fairly ubiquitous so finding a similar 5 string model isn't too hard. It won't be identical, but it will get you in the ball park. Finding the MTD will be much harder if you don't have a dealer close by. As a substitute, try a a 5 string Lakland 55-02 or an Ibanez BTB, preferably an older model with the bolt neck. Neither will give you a feel for the MTD's actual sound, but it will put a wide spaced 35" in your hands.

FYI, if the SR1005 is from about 2006 or so, it's Korean or possibly Indonesian, not Japanese, even though it's labeled "Prestige". IME, build quality is a smidge nicer than standard SR's but I wouldn't rank them as highly as other basses in the price range. I prefer the SR505 of the same era over the SR1005.

Hope this helps.

3. I've got an Heir, and I've played the 1005 quite a few times. Both are fantastic instruments, really. I've got the Heir because I like the 35" scale and the 19mm spacing, but that's just me. Either one would handle most types of music very well.

4. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I have had two SR1005s. One I still have.

I had an EFM that I sold recently and still have an EWN. Both are great instruments, accept really low action, sound great...solid tone, great B strings, well constructed and hang perfectly balanced and are low weight. Both have scratchy eq pots. For my EWN, if I don't sell it as I have a SR1205 coming my way, I will install an Aguilar OP3 with the same hole configuration.

I really like these basses. I have played narrow string-spacing for over 20-years and thus it is natural for me and not a problem. They simply are comfortable, sound great, etc. No issues other than the scratchy pots which is an easy fix.

Lastly, both of mine have transferred in the $500 to $700 range. Really a great price-range for such quality. And both are in excellent shape...almost mint.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021