MTD Heir vs. Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by asonepraise, Sep 26, 2005.

1. asonepraise

Aug 20, 2004
    I know that the reviews for the Lakland 55-01 have been good. . .however, I haven't played the MTD, and it seems to be around the same price and similar to the 55-01 in that it has an active preamp, wide string spacing, and great quality control. Sooo, any opinions on which one I should get? How about differences in tone? My style is funk, R&B, and gospel.

2. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    Hey Asonepraise,

I do not think you can go wrong with either bass for funk, R&B and gospel. Personally, I prefer Lakland. In my opinion, Laklands have a more old school vibe.

3. Finding myself in a similar dielma on the search for the right five string. It's been alsmost a year since this thread was started - anyone else do a shoot-out between these two? :confused:
  4. I have the Heir, but I've played them both. I think it's a toss-up, really. I'm partial to my Heir, but I wouldn' have any problem with the Lakland. It's a 34" scale, also, I believe. At least it felt that way.
  5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    You might consider the MTD Z models. They're a little more pricey, but from what I've heard are very nice. I know a lot of gospel players use MTD.
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Au contraire. If it's a 5-string Lakland, then it's 35" scale. ;)
  7. OK. I stand corrected. It felt shorter, but it might just have been the overall design.