1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Heir vs. Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by asonepraise, Sep 26, 2005.

1. asonepraise

asonepraise

Aug 20, 2004
    I know that the reviews for the Lakland 55-01 have been good. . .however, I haven't played the MTD, and it seems to be around the same price and similar to the 55-01 in that it has an active preamp, wide string spacing, and great quality control. Sooo, any opinions on which one I should get? How about differences in tone? My style is funk, R&B, and gospel.

Thanks

2. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Hey Asonepraise,

I do not think you can go wrong with either bass for funk, R&B and gospel. Personally, I prefer Lakland. In my opinion, Laklands have a more old school vibe.

Ted

3. Finding myself in a similar dielma on the search for the right five string. It's been alsmost a year since this thread was started - anyone else do a shoot-out between these two? :confused:

4. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I have the Heir, but I've played them both. I think it's a toss-up, really. I'm partial to my Heir, but I wouldn' have any problem with the Lakland. It's a 34" scale, also, I believe. At least it felt that way.

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    You might consider the MTD Z models. They're a little more pricey, but from what I've heard are very nice. I know a lot of gospel players use MTD.

6. Au contraire. If it's a 5-string Lakland, then it's 35" scale. ;)

7. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

OK. I stand corrected. It felt shorter, but it might just have been the overall design.