Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir vs Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Apr 1, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'm looking for a new bass with a MM+J pickup combination and I was wondering what you guys thought of the MTD Heir and the Lakland Skyline. I currently play a 4 string and am kind of inbetween getting another 4 or trying a 5. I've played a 5 a few times but either a) didn't play the low B b) didn't like the sound of the low B c) found it uncomfortable or d) got lost.

I'm wondering which one you think is more solid-built, versatile, and and clearer sounding

Thanks alot,
    Dave

2. I'd probably go with the Lakland, but I'm not sure when the 4-strings come out. You can try www.access-bass.com . Adrian seems like a great person to deal with.:)

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Skyline feels more solidly built than the Heir, but it's noticeably heavier, too. Tone is a personal thing, I'll be wishy washy and say that they both sounded good to me. But I hate knob fiddling, so I'd go with the passive Heir for convenience.

Both have good-sounding Bs, but the Heir's felt a little tighter. Both have larger/wide necks for 5-strings, so test drive them if you're used to a four.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As the owner of a Skyline 55-02, (not my first 5'er), all I can say is if you don't like the sound of that B, you just don't like B strings. It's got the "money sound."

But you may find the Skyline uncomfortable. As silky and thin as the Skyline's neck is, it is a wide neck (so you can slap), and the fretboard edge isn't rounded off. If you don't have good arch in your fretting fingers, the corner will dig in.

As for getting confused by the B string, that's just a matter of not knowing the instrument. The B string is just adds 5 additional notes, that's all. Once you see the simplicity, playing is actually easier because you can play more patterns/lines "across" the fretboard, rather than "vertically."

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Looking at the prices, I could get an Heir and a good deal of equipment for the same price as just the Skyline... I'll have to A/B em though just to make sure the Skyline doesn't blow the Heir away..

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    when you say you are looking for an MM-J Bass, and when comparing the Heir and the Skyline, please remember that the only Skyline with the MM-J setup is the 55-02, which carries the same electronics/pickups package as the american Laklands. Then consider that the 55-02 is well over twice the price of the Heir. Having said that, if money is no object, I would go with the Lakland purely because i love the Lakland sound- the Heir is a great and comfortable bass like only Mike Tobias can design, and it is growly, but it is a passive instrument- the Lakland 55-02 is an active tone monster- its got the money sound is about as good a description as i can think of- and now they come with beautiful veneer tops- so they look great..
    http://www.access-bass.com/Sky55-02Cherry.html
    peace!.- A.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've never played a Lakland.

I recently played the Heir 5 and was blown away. I only picked it up because it looked so good- normally I don't even try wide-necked 5s any more because none of them have been not comfortable for me.
    Long story short- felt great, very comfortable; sounded great; B string was perfect, sounded like just another string, perfectly matched; no dead spots at all!