MTD Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    A while back, I played an MTD Kingston that I was very impressed with. The tone was great, especially for a passive bass.

How does the Heir compare? I know it has the extra single coil pickup in the neck position, plus the MM style humbucker. Turning down the neck pickup, will it get you that MM style sound that the Kingston reproduces well enough? How does the neck pickup contribute to the tone? Or detract from it? anyone know a place I can get some sound clips?

I don't know if 35" scale 5 string is working for me, I think I may have made a mistake buying my BTB. I'm considering trying to find a trade for one of these in 4 strings.
  2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I wouldn't dump the fiver so quickly (didn't you only buy it a few weeks ago?) Give it time, a fiver is really a worthwile addition to your arsenal. Do you have extremely small hands? Does the neck feel uncomfortable for you?
    I haven't played the Heir, but it seems to be really well-liked over here. As far I know, it's all-passive, though.
  3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I will give the five more time, of course. It just seems I don't have the same feeling on the 35" scale, it's like I've lost my connection with the instrument. I'm working on it, though.