Mtd K5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 21, 2001.

1. I know that there's been another thread about this, but I have to say it again:

THIS BASS RULES! I tried one out today and was immediately impressed by the tightness and responsiveness of the B string (those MTD strings are great). I didn't think a basswood-bodied bass would have enough low midrange to get a decent B, but it does the trick.

The neck is beefy but not too thick, and eminently playable. String spacing is good and wide, and aligned properly over the pickup. I'd say that this falls into the category of my ideal 5-string neck.

The K5 snarls. I'd love to take it out for a jam with the metal band I'm getting together. It'd be nice if it had a preamp, but at that price a stock preamp would be a Korean-made piece of crap, so it's probably for the best that it comes passive. I'd also put a push-pull volume pot in for series/parallel, just for a variation.

*sigh* I wish it'd been available a year ago--I'd have bought it in a second over my Dean. I can see why Bass Player drooled over it.

In conclusion, if you're looking for a good 5-string for under $1000, take a long, hard look at the K5.
  2. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was 95% sure that I was gonna buy a Spector NS2000/5 as my first 5-string bass. But, I saw the K5 in Bass Player and it caught my eye. It looks to be one of the best 5-string basses under $1000 on the market. Unfortunately, no store around here sell Spector or MTD, so I can't try them and compare them. So when I decide, I'll have to buy from the interent (Musician's Friend, Sam Ash or other).

I went to www.harmony and read the K5's and the NS2000/5 reviews, and they were both given great reviews.

Now I have a new dilema on which 5-string to buy.

P.D. If you've played the Spector, please give me your honest opinion about it.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Afroman =

I've played both basses recently. The Spector 2000/5 is an excellent bass, but I prefer the MTD K5 to be honest. The big difference was the B string. On the Spector it's good, but on the K5 it's EXCELLENT.

Further, I know this seems like it's an ad, but in addition to contacting Musician's Friend (there's an ironic name! ;) ) or Scam Cash...uh...heh, oops, Sam Ash, give us a call or drop us an e-mail at Bass Central. We're an MTD dealer, the whole line, and usually will have several K5's either in stock or in transit to the store. We also are a Spector dealer, but I don't think we have a 2000/5 in stock right now. I'm sure we can get it though, if you decide to get that one.
  4. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I have both the Spector 2000 Q5 and the MTD K4 (not the 5). In nearly every playing situation I've encountered, I've chosen the K4 (i put a hipshot on it) over the Spector in nearly every instance. Neither holds a candle to my Peavey, but that's a different post all together.