Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD k5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobmouse, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I am considering buying this bass, but I want to take off the the low b and add a high c so it's strung E,A,D,G,C. Do you think I will encounter any problems doing this?. Also what are your opinions of the mtd k5?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The bass is generally very well considered at TB. Try a keyword search on "kingston". You should find quite a bit.

3. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Mmm..I have been reeading what others have been saying about this bass and it does seem appealing. I wouldn't mind some advice on my string choice though. I am wondering if it will be as simple as whipping of the low b and and then re-stringing it E,A,D,G,C without any setup problems.:confused:

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Email Mike Tobias form his site www.mtdbass.com

He responded to me very quickly when I had a Kingston 5 for a week that needed a pickguard.

It was a solid bass, BTW, at any price. Something else had just caught my eye right after I bought it.

5. Nah, you'll need to have a new nut cut if you don't want massive lower-fret string buzz.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's good n' cheap. Gets high marks for playability. Just make sure you like the tone. It's heavy in the mids, which gets it heard onstage, but it's not the prettiest-sounding instrument out there.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    When changing from "low-5" stringing to "high-5," the total total tension increases slightly, so it may be necessary to tighten the truss rod a bit. But if you do a full setup, that's just part of it anyway.

As already mentioned, it may be necessary to replace the nut. I know there was a thread recently about changing to a high-five. You may find more info there.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think the Kingston has a zero-fret, so that wouldn't be an issue.

9. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Thank you everyone, I have E-mailed MTD and got a reply pretty much straight away which is very impressive. When I buy the k5 i will get it all set up how I want it. It will need slight adjustments to compencate for the different string tension.

Thanks again.

10. My fretless one didn't, but I haven't seen a fretted in a while.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    While I agree 100% with your comment regarding its tone, I've actually found that mine has a HELL of a time breaking through the mix. I'm actually now considering selling mine.

12. Hunh. Have you tried a different type of strings? My fretless was pretty snarly with DR Sunbeams.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's possible. I forced mine into breaking thought the mix. Two 410XLTs and 1000 watts will do that to the mix. :D

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, experience is relative. My other bass guitars are pretty polite sounding: a Roscoe Beck and a Rick Turner Ren 5. The Kingston's tone is grindier and more sandpapery than either of them.

15. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    well, since it's fretless, it doesn't have any frets at all! ;) But, seriously, I checked it out, the Kingston fretted does have a zero-fret, so all it should need is a slight truss rod adjustment..

16. I sold my ebony-board Kingston 5 because the combination of a super-thin neck and a 35" scale was not pleasing to my hands. That said, it was an excellent bass--it really growled, and the low B was probably the best I've ever played in its price range.

If your hands like the neck, you can't really go wrong with a fretless K5.