Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston 5 or Ibanez ATK 405?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, May 18, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Which should i get?! im thinking more ibanez because its cheaper (£350, the kingston is about £450) and more versatile than the kingston. and its active. and they are sold in a shop near me. But I have been hearing good things about the kingston. Im selling my jazz (which fell awkwardly between my pedulla mvp 4 and my 57ri fender p-bass so got little use) and want to replace it with something different altogether from my other 2. I dont really want to spend any more than the price i get for my jazz. I know you guys love atk's and i do too... but how similar to the musicman is the kingston in terms of sound? Cheers

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    This is a hard choice... most folks will say Kingston but im an ATK man myself :D

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Play them both. The necks are very different. Also, the Ibanez has a more versatile EQ. The Kingston has one basic tone (very midrangey) that can be smoothed out with the passive tone, but doesn't have a lot of highs.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    From what I have heard, the B string on the MTD is just killer. You should probably play both and decide that way though.

5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hmm sounds like a split choice.. your'e right, it is a difficult decision. Im off to play the atk this afternoon. I will report my findings!

6. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I like the MTD....