Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AssMan, Mar 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    What your opinion of it? Is it worth the dough? Also would you replace it's electronics if so with what? And lastly the Kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM vs. Cort Curbow 5, which is the best?

2. What your opinion of it?
    The Kingston 5 is awesome.

Is it worth the dough?
    I personally think it would be worth 2-3 times the dough that they ask for it. It blows away the Stingray 5 IMO.

Also would you replace it's electronics if so with what?
    The electronics are decent. I would put in Bartolini's but it's not an imediate necesity.

And lastly the Kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM vs. Cort Curbow 5, which is the best?
    Kingston 5 hands down. However if you need more versatility you may want to go with a 2 pickup bass.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Or add a pickup to the Kingston;)

What your opinion of it? I think it's an excellent bass, especially without the pickguard.

Is it worth the dough? Absolutely

Also would you replace it's electronics if so with what? Only if I wasn't happy with them or wanted to add versatility, like a preamp or 2nd pickup.

And lastly the Kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM vs. Cort Curbow 5, which is the best? This one is entirely up to you.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    HAHAHA. IMO kingston is the worst company ever made. Someone GAVE me a free kingston guitar a while back, just because they're so horrible.

I personally would get the Ibanez. I hate Cort, to me cort's an OK low end brand. Nothing special.

I would suggest a danelectro, they're tons of bang for your buck. I think they get a really huge sound, and are really universal.

But they sadly (for you) don't make any 5 strings, although they do have a 6 that doesn't go for TOO expensive, and if you pick bass, you're in tons of luck, the strings are closer together than standard, so it's easier to switch between strings. I use a Danelectro Hodad bass as my main bass over the other 2 bass's I own. (Ibanez SR800LE and danelectro longhorn) but then again, IMO the hodad's the best danelectro... Comes with a 34" neck, 20(or 21, I can't remember, I don't have it near me) frets, 3 lipstick pickups, a pickup selecter, a blow switch, a tone control, and volume.

Just some suggestions.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    CrawlingEye, you're gonna kick yourself...:D

We're talking about MTD Kingston 5's.

6. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    The MTD Kingston is a fairly new instrument. Maybe
    a few months on the market. Are you sure you are talking about the same bass as the poster? I just can't see the Hodad being compared to the MTD Kingston. I have a Danelectro DC. I am gonna give it to the grand kid when he get a little older. Not bad for a knock-around bass. Sorry just my opinion.
    Dan

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    This purty `un turned-up at the L.A. Bass Exchange
    minus that goofy-@$$ pickguard . List $749..."call for price" :rolleyes:.
    I guess the challenge then is to find somebody out there to
    answer the phone :p ...

[​IMG]

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Dano equating country sound? How about no?

9. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    How about yes.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    How about yeah, it CAN?

Besides, what happened to its universatility? ;)

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a white K5.The pickguard came off as soon as I got it home.For the moment I have the black screws in the holes but when I get time I'll find a matching filler material. Great bass!

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    A dano's just as much a country instrument as anything is. It has a lower sounding nasal middy sound. Usually equated with ska/raggae. I don't and doubt I ever will see how you can relate a dano to country. Although you're also just retarded, Angus.

They're quite universal, and although I doubt they could produce a good country sound. But why in the hell would you want a country sound anyway?

In universal I mean (checklist here)

-Ska (X)
    - Punk (X)
    - Rock (X)
    - Metal (X)
    - Jazz (X)
    - Hardcore (X)
    - Blues (X)
    - Raggae (X)

Now, if you'd like to argue about any of this. I think you should notice that I've already used Dano's for those reasons. So you're just going to be spitting wind.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Now now, let's not resort to namecalling. Moderators will be down here and slapping hands!

A lot of people equate Danelectros with a country sound because the Tic Tac(Danelectro 6 string from the 1950's) was used on a lot of country music, often doubled with a double bass(no pun intended!:p). The Longhorn was also a popular country bass at one time, and the vintagey tone that lipstick tube pickups put out is great for country.

I have never played a Hodad except for a few minutes at GC, so I can't say that they would work for country, but when I look at any Danelectro that is the first style of music that comes to mind.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL, thanks.

Universal... except what you dont like?

"Country" can sound like anything; so can punk, ska, rock, metal, jazz, etc. Tones are different for different people. So sure, it can sound country. And to someone else, maybe it sounds not at ALL ska. ;)

Thanks for the comment though, i rather enjoy being retarded. Ignorance is bliss. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.