Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AssMan, Mar 28, 2001.

1. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    What your opinion of it? Is it worth the dough? Also would you replace it's electronics if so with what? And lastly the Kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM vs. Cort Curbow 5, which is the best? I'm restarting this post because the other one got closed down thanks to a certain member who I won't mention.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What your opinion of it? I think it's an excellent bass, especially without the pickguard.

Is it worth the dough? Absolutely

Also would you replace it's electronics if so with what? Only if I wasn't happy with them or wanted to add versatility, like a preamp or 2nd pickup.

And lastly the Kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM vs. Cort Curbow 5, which is the best? This one is entirely up to you.

3. What your opinion of it?
    The Kingston 5 is awesome.

Is it worth the dough?
    I personally think it would be worth 2-3 times the dough that they ask for it. It blows away the Stingray 5 IMO.

Also would you replace it's electronics if so with what?
    The electronics are decent. I would put in Bartolini's but it's not an imediate necesity.

And lastly the Kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM vs. Cort Curbow 5, which is the best?
    Kingston 5 hands down. However if you need more versatility you may want to go with a 2 pickup bass.

4. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Thanks for reposting.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A couple of issues ago, Bass Player thought it was a very good value in their review.

As for replacing any of the onboards, I agree with Brad. Why assume before you try it? You may like them a lot, if you haven't tried one or two.

Based on my limited knowledge of the basses you are comparing, I think the MTD is the winner, hands down. It's definitely a better build.

The only thing I'd have against it is my prejudice towards most instruments not made in Europe or the US, (note: "most"). When I learned bass, anything that was available and wasn't made in the US was trash. I know a lot has changed, (especially the European stuff), but I'm still kind of hinky about Far East gear in general. I think this MTD would be one of the exceptions. Bass Player is pretty finicky, and MTD doesn't take full page ads in their mag. So, it most likely got a thorough shakedown and still came out smelling like a rose.

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    None of these basses are built in the us. They're all of us design. The curbow is built at cor-teck in korea, the ibanez probably is too. Cor-teck makes lots of basses including the conklin groove tools line. I think the MTD might be built there too but i'm not sure, I do know it's made in korea. overseas production is fine with me (it saves some $$) and I don't mind if my bass isn't abosluty flawlass. Un level frets tend to the biggest cunsurn but frets can fixed and it costs less to get a fret job than it would to buy a bass with perfect frets (except for carvin). the only other thing is good wood. Pups and electronics can easily be replaced, but wood can't. I'd trust MTD to use all good wood. The curbow only has wood in the neck so that's not much of a problem. The Ibanez, I'd have to try a few btb405QM to find a good one. I did this with my soundgear and it made a huge difference. My sdgr's neck is lighly flamed so I know it's a good chunk of wood, and it sounds better than other ones too.

7. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Just bringing the thread back up.

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had a white K5 since November.As a matter of fact,I'm playing it right now as I surf.IMO nothing at or near this price range even comes close.

9. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    If I replace the electronics, what sould I replace them with?

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If you replace them, what would you be trying to achieve? Do you want a fatter sound, do you want an onboard EQ, do you want a cutting, single coil sound, do you want versatility, etc.

It probably seems like a simple question but it's not. You have to ask yourself what is the bass not presently doing for you and then decide how to try and "fix" it.

Without "your" input, throwing out suggestion without actually trying them on the Kingston first is just a crap shoot.

Have you played one yet? If so, what did you find lacking?

Basically...what do "you" want?:D

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  12. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I was workin at BC today and I played a Kingston. I heartily reccomend them. The feel was great, the B-string was phenomenal and its tone was snappy and crisp. If I wanted something in that price range, the kingston dominates.

13. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I saw that one the other day. It looks like the person did a rather horse****ty job with upgrade though. The pots are all positioned weird. I noticed that the kingston has a different 5-string MM pick-up than usual, It has the same mounting things like the 4-string MM's do. The only 5-string MM pick-up I've seen like that is the one carvin makes.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Assman- Not to be anal, (no pun intended), but the Carvin HB-5 has pole pieces and the screws are offset from the pup on tiny ears that are lower than the crown of the pickup.

No big deal, but someone may be considering it at that price. Brad can sniff out deals like a BASSet Hound.

15. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    That's what I meant. I was talking about the stock pick-up, and how it's mountings are different than most 5-string MM pups. I agree, It's a good deal. The Bart upgrade would another $150-$200.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You've completely lost me on this one, AssMan.
    I only have access to the BassNW pictures, not the actual bass. I can barely see the added controls in the dark pics, let alone see where they're positioned "weird". What's weird about where they are? I've come across just about every pot layout imaginable and I still haven't come across anything that really bothered me. YMMV.

BassNW is saying that it has a Bartolini pickup and pre-...I have no reason to doubt that. I also didn't realize the 2-1 screw configuration was a big deal.

So...is it the pot positioning and the screw configuration that makes this a "horse****ty" job? I'm really curious.

17. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    FWIW, I love my K4. Absolutely killer fingerstyle sound. The only mods I have done so far were removing the pickguard (I'm having a really thin black one cut as we speak) and adding an Xtender. The planned mods include a new PU (yet to be decided) with splittable coils wired to a blend knob instead of a toggle switch and a linear taper tone pot.

18. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA

Yes. They sold it now anyway. You're right it is hard to see through the pics. It just didn't look to me like the person took their time, but if it sounds good, who cares.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    people:
    I'd heard and read about the Kingston and at first I didn't really pay attention. i own an MTD 535 and at the time, my reaction was thet the pickguard was a bit weird.
    I have since bought a K5 as temporary backup while I get another 535 made. The bass kicks butt. Granted , it doens't sound like the 535 (it it did, at 1/10 the price, i'd be PISSED!!) but it feels great and has a j kinda sound. For some it may be a good idea to install an active preamp, but it is not NECESSARY. If I were to play it as a main axe, i would put a pre in it. But the deal is , this bass is incredible for the price. add a pre for about $100 and it smokes!!! the neck feels close to my $3000 535. i've seen n othing elsa in this price range come close.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'll agree with Adrian, it's THE bass in the under $1000 range.

I had the pleasure of playing the one DRC/Neal mentioned earlier today, right after Mike T hisself came in BC and did a bit of tweakin' on it. Highly impressive bass. I'd be seriously thinkin' about a fretless one right now, if it weren't for the fact that they only make the fretlesses in black! :mad: :(

...mebbe I'll get a rosewood fretted, and have it defretted ;)

...HOLY CRAP, MIKE TOBIAS WAS IN THE STORE I WORK IN TODAY!!!!!!!! :D :D