MTD Kingston 5!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Yes!

32 vote(s)
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
  3. IDK!

4 vote(s)
  1. Hey, Anyone and everyone!!! I need some info on the MTD Kingston 5!!!

1) Would the maple fretboard be better than the rosewood?
    2) Is the p/up a Bartolini? I had heard it was...
    3) Wide string spacing?
    4) How is the body carved?
    5) Is the gig bag worth it or would an SKB Bass HSC work good?
    6) Would I get the best boom for the buck w/ this bass?
  2. the mtd that i played sounded great. I would suggest this bass if you like the feel of a longer scale bass with a slim 5 string neck. The pickup was in a great spot and sounded very balanced. The maple neck seemed to give it more of a midrange bite that i prefered over the rosewood. I perfer the shorter scale of a music man or fender, but that's me. Looking at your profile it said you have a ibanez if you like that feel to a bass i'd say go with it. Also i used the same swr working man's 2004 and 410t setup you have, i don't think it's a bart in there but very similar to music man sound, maybe a deep deeper sounding, the body to me fit like a glove, nice egronomic feel. I'm pretty sure you'll like the price to performance ratio.
  3. The MTD website states that all of his pickups are made by Bill Bartolini. Yes it is a great bass, I have a fretless K5 so my fretboard is phenolic, can't comment on the other board choices. The fit, finish, quality and sound on this bass are better than basses costing twice to three times as much. Check out other threads on it.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    1) I have maple, but then again, maple outnumbers all other woods at least 3:1 on my basses. It comes down to your own preference.

2) Don't know, but I've seen others post it might be a Bart. I have never taken mine out to see if I could detect any identifying marks. At any rate, it is balanced and performs well for a stock single hb.

3) Yes! 3/4" at the bridge, all the room you want.

4) Comfortable contour. Nothing special, but here's the thing. The body is made of basswood, which is likely the lightest wood you'll ever encounter for a bass body wood. This makes the bass wear well for sustained periods of time, it's just so light.

5) Don't know, mine lives on a stand. My thoughts are this. Ask the retailer what hardshells will accomodate the bass. Look at the Squier hardshells, they are $60-70 compared to the SKB asking prices. If a gig bag is going to be anywhere near that price range, I always go hardshell. In fact, I only own one gig bag, and that's for a guitar. :p

6) Yes, at the prices they ask for these things, they are definitely high on value.

Some other thoughts. This bass is a player. The neck is slim and comfy, the strings are nice and taut, and the string spacing accomodates all styles. The sound is reminescent of a classic, midrangey growl. Hook this thing up with a Sans Amp BDDI, and you'll have a good stock sound right off the bat. I use stainless Lo Riders on mine, and the tension and clarity are without question. The B string is excellent, and easily rivals (or beats out) B's on basses that cost 3x as much. The tuners are reliable as well. For the money, I defy someone to be disappointed with these basses. Get the 5!!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just looking back in the archives, I saw that I've been talking the MTD Kingstons up since last November. It's great to see they've caught on and hard to believe it's almost been a year.

Mike is the man;)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Made some of the best neck throughs ever made, now makes one of the best bolt ons ever made, and also markets a $500 bass that blows away a lot of $2000 basses.
  7. Is the headstock angled back?
  8. My headstock is indeed angled back and painted black to match the finish.
  9. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    MM Stingray 5 is even better, but then I also like carrots... :confused:

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Pickup is not a Bartolini, it is a No-Name Korean Made Pickup.

And as far as I know, the Kingston uses WENGE not Rosewood.
  11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Sorry, got confused with the Beast.
    The Beast had a Wenge Fretboard, just like the Grendel.
  12. I don't think Mike is even offering wenge boards on his handmade basses without an exorbitant upcharge. I think the political situation in Africa has reduced the supply of wenge to a trickle in the US. Warwick can probably still do it without much trouble though.
  13. MTD's website states that Bill Bartolini makes all of his pickups. How do you know that the Kingston's pickup is a "no name Korean made"?
  14. If you look on the site carefully, only the American handmade basses come with the Bartolini pickups. The Kingston simply comes with a "MM style" pickup.
  15. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Maybe it's a "designed by Bartolini", but made overseas pickup, like the "Duncan Designed" Seymore Duncan series.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Why not just ask Mike, if it's important?
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    not only the american MTDs come with barts- the Beast ( discontinued) and the Grendel both come with bart pups- however- the pup in the Kingston is a Tobias design, not a Bartolini, however-
    great bass for the $$- by the way- i have one for sale- check the sale thread if youre looking for one of these-
  18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    How do I know?
    Because I even have the dealer prices od the MTD line.
    I can buy direct from Mathews And Ryan for Distribution of some brands in Ecuador.

It is a "Exposed Pole MTD Pickup Made in Korea"

That´s what it states.
  19. i'd love to get a fretless 5, but their fretless fingerboards have lines. i hate that. oh well...