MTD Kingston active preamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Nov 10, 2003.

1. IMO, the slap tone on the Kingston leaves something to be desired. I'm looking for a tone with more 'bite', flexibility and high end emphasis than the stock passive setup can provide, I think. I know Bartolini and Seymour Duncan make pickups and active preamps made to be retrofitted into a Stingray.. would this work in a Kingston? What about the Aguilar OBP-1, what's the general opinion on those?
  2. I had a Kingston for a short time..I didn't like the tone either.didn't really care for the look either. I looked into upgrading it to a wasn't worth it IMO... get a MM Stingray.
  3. I think Stingrays are rather ugly and I hate the SR5's string spacing.... but thanx.

back to the top...
  4. I have a Kingston Heir (2 pickup model) and tried both the Aguilar and Duncan preamps and wasn't satisfied with the result. There was still a harshness to the high end that I suspect is in the pickups. The Bart and Duncan MM pickup will fit the Kingston and I'd wager the combination of a matched preamp/pickup would be an improvement.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you're interested, there is a guy selling a MM Stingray 5 pickup AND preamp on ebay right now.

Here is the Link.