Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston active preamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Nov 10, 2003.

1. IMO, the slap tone on the Kingston leaves something to be desired. I'm looking for a tone with more 'bite', flexibility and high end emphasis than the stock passive setup can provide, I think. I know Bartolini and Seymour Duncan make pickups and active preamps made to be retrofitted into a Stingray.. would this work in a Kingston? What about the Aguilar OBP-1, what's the general opinion on those?

2. I had a Kingston for a short time..I didn't like the tone either.didn't really care for the look either. I looked into upgrading it to a active..it wasn't worth it IMO... get a MM Stingray.

3. I think Stingrays are rather ugly and I hate the SR5's string spacing.... but thanx.

back to the top...

4. I have a Kingston Heir (2 pickup model) and tried both the Aguilar and Duncan preamps and wasn't satisfied with the result. There was still a harshness to the high end that I suspect is in the pickups. The Bart and Duncan MM pickup will fit the Kingston and I'd wager the combination of a matched preamp/pickup would be an improvement.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you're interested, there is a guy selling a MM Stingray 5 pickup AND preamp on ebay right now.

Here is the Link.