1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Kingston Artist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Jefe, Mar 25, 2009.

1. El Jefe

El Jefe

Jun 25, 2008
    Sacramento
    im gassing for a 4 string in blue BAD
    post pics and more importantly clips if you have em! how do these sound for punk played with a pick?
    anyone compared these necks with an ibanez SR?
    [​IMG]

edit: do these have the asymmetrical neck?

2. Yes they have the asymmetrical neck, and they're nothing like an Ibanez SR. Much nicer than the SR. Pretty bass, I've GASed over that too. IMO, they'd be great for Punk with a pick. They really cut through.

3. El Jefe

El Jefe

Jun 25, 2008
    Sacramento
    i mainly use the neck pickup on my sr700, how would the MM humbucker compare?
    man i really want to try that asymmetrical neck!

4. MTD's have a really definitive sound. Look at www.mtdbass.com for a sound sample. Very modern.

5. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    i use it for punk music, its great! its definately not the old typical p/j punk sound you hear on a lot of records (ie bouncing souls, antiflag, the exploited, casualties etc etc), its very midrangey, almost to the point of not needing a pick, i can use fingers on it and running it through my sansamp to my amp it sounds super bright without being harsh, something i couldnt always do with my fender.

its got an asymetrical neck. very nice feeling too!

I can't recommend it enough though, i am quite sure you'll love it...though you could always get a Heir and have that single coil at the neck for non-punk too, say maybe some skacore? :)

anywho, heres the only pic i have of me playing it - at a house party.

295tqtu.

6. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Here's mine:

DSC02854.

Super comfy neck and a nice burpy mid tone with some bottom. I had a 5 string Kingston a few years back (which I regrettably sold) and I really like the transparent blue finish.

Bonus if you can pick up a MTD Zero-G soft case with one...they are really nice too.

7. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    I've played an artist 4 at a local GC a couple of times in the last few weeks. I couldn't believe how great it sounded. And the neck was amazing. Great features and sound for the cash. I like either the trans blue or trans red with maple fretboard. The Z was surprisingly nice, too. A little more smooth and "tame" than the Artist, but nice nonetheless.

I compared the Artist to several basses that day-from Ibanez (and I own two Iby's) to Schecter to Fender to ESP. As far as I was concerned it was no contest. The Kingston outshined them all in playability and tone for my tastes.

A Kingston is definitely on my future GAS list. :bassist:

8. El Jefe

El Jefe

Jun 25, 2008
    Sacramento
    right on, thanks for all the responses and pics!

9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    This is coming to me today (or should be)

attachment.

attachment.

I wanted something completely different and went with this.

10. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    and have to say the necks on the MTD's is amazingly comfortable to play. I have yet to feel a better neck, equal but not better. Hard to find a better value imho.

11. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I wanted something totally different in my stable of tools.

I was looking to MM and such I had my eye on one pickup model basses specifically.

I'm totally stoked on the Kingston Artist and would rather have that then any MM so far that I played.

Its not because its less expensive its totally due to the sound and playability.

12. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I just sat with an Artist 4 at a GC yesterday and it went straight to my GAS list, too. Actually, it created my list... does one item even qualify as a list? I was using an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro at the shop running into a 4x10 and figured that that rig was making the bass shine, but after I pulled a half-dozen other different basses ('Ray, P, J, etc.), I plugged this MTD in again and just fell for it.

I agree that it produces a very burpy tone, but the eq seems to have a very healthy range - the highs and high mids can be reigned in without crushing the general sound of the instrument into dust. I only slap on occasion - I generally play a passive J-bass - and it didn't occur to me right away that this bass has much of a slap tone readily available, at least in the same way as a Jazz. Looking forward to hopefully noodling with one again - could be my perfect "second bass" down the road if it doesn't actually dethrone my J.

My Jazz is quite heavy and in stark contrast, this Kingston seemed so light when I grabbed it that I figured it couldn't possibly deliver significant tone. Well to my ears, it did and I'll bet that the significant neck is a big contributor. While it's substantial, it didn't seem chunky and I took to it in no time - I'm certainly becoming a believer in that asymmetrical design. I had a Korean Ibanez DWB 3 a while back which was rather nice (skinny neck!), but the design and build of this MTD seems to be a step above my old bass.

13. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    trying to change the battery on my MTD Kingston Artist, but the cover is so tight it won't come off. any ideas how I can do this?

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    My control cavity cover was the same way. I ended up using a butter knife, which worked like a charm. Always comes with me with the maintenance kit now :D

Other than that, some strong duct tape could work. I've heard some guys keep a tab sticking out, attatched to the cover so that it's easy to take them off any time you need to.

15. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    thanks. Managed to jam something in the screw hole and got it off. I think I will find something I can attach to the inside. or take a dremel to the control cover a bit. If it was just a little smaller, it would be fine.