Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD kingston basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.Typhus, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    So What you think about MTD Kingston models? i am about to buying one 4-string w. maple fingerboard but i don´t know much from this bass.is this good bass if i am looking for different sound than my Warwick streamer STD5? ... what kind of sound does kingston have? ... some pics of your basses would be great! :)

2. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    I have the earlier MTD Beast4 the czech made bofore MTD moved its low end production to korea. Mines fitted with bartolini 2Js, n with upgraded with a Bart preamp. Real nice sounding bass, bright sounding great for funk, n very nice slap tone. I fingerstyle n it suits me very well. I have the wenge fretboard.

3. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I've owned a couple of Warwick Streamer Stnd 5 strings and currently have an MTD Kingston 5 (older passive style). The two basses are quite different tonewise. The Warwick is much warmer whereas the Kingston has a lot more attack and punch.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an active (modded) Kingston 5 and it does indeed have a lot of attack and punch. I had a passive one once and found the same to be true.

I have found that, for me, this bass sounds best with nickel strings because they take the "edge" off somewhat. Once I changed the stainless to nickel, it gave me the exact tone I was looking for.

And the neck is so nice - probably my favorite neck of any bass I own or have owned, regardless of bass price/value.

5. Interestingly enough, I have also gone to nickel strings to take a bit of the edge off. The neck is also my favorite part of the bass; it's the most comfortable neck I've used, and fits even my sort of smallish hands well, even with a 5 stringer and 35" scale.

6. I have been curious how close does the modded kingstons tone resmble a stingray? If it isnt close how good of a slap tone do you get?

7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think these basses are a great value but an all around great bass as well. I used to own a 5 string Kingston and have recently demoed some 4-strings on a whim. I found the 4-string a pleasure to play - the neck was very comfortable and fast and the body is ergonomic, light, and very comfortable as well. The passive pickup is very powerful with a nice musical midrange. The tone knob does do a good job with tone adjustments. I found the tone to be very growly with a lot of punch, but can be tamed with technique, rolling off the tone knob, or using active EQ. I used to run my 5 string through an outboard EQ and was able to dial in smoother tones and great slap tones. Compared to the tone of a Stingray, well, I would say it's Stingray-like, but it's got it's own thing going on in the midrange. It doesn't have the extreme EQ of the Stingray but the Stingray isn't as focused to my ears. As far as looks go, well the Stingray has it in the visual department but when you factor in everything else, I think the Kingston is a worthy consideration.

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

OK, I'll admit it right up front. I think that MTD's are one of the finest bass line-ups going. The Kingston scored very highly in the shoot-outs, and, as you can see from the posts above, they score highly here. IMHO, EVERY bass player should have at least one MTD. :)

9. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I have a kingston 5 active and love it. I'll pretty much parrot what dls59 and planet boulder had to say. Very comfortable neck. I put some nickle strings on it and I'm extremely happy with the purchase.