Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston Feedback?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Can someone give some feedback on the MTD Kingston, preferably the passive model. It seems to be lowest priced quality 35" bass around. Let me know how you like it or how you don't like it.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fan-freaking-tastic bass. Sounds amazing, plays like butter, generally have above average B-strings (the one I had beat out some $1500 B strings I've played).

I ultimately got rid of mine because the nut was too narrow for my huge mits. Most 5ers are, though, so it's not like it's got a narrow nut or anything.

3. They're sweet basses, well worth every penny spent on them. The ones I've tried all play beautifully, and most of them aren't hard to look at either. The tone controls are responsive and they definitely don't feel cheap in the least.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    IMHO..one of the nicest low dollar basses out there.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think bang-for-buck, it IS the best. I'd love another, but my damn hands are finicky.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I played one of the old ones-Passive.
    This is a great bass for the money.
    nice neck, good fret-job, plays very well.
    Have not tryed one of the new active models.
    19mm. spacing on neck.
    May be my next 5-string.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm looking hard at a Kingston because the neck and overall quality looks quite good, and I am attracted to its overall simplicity. I already have a nice active bass, Peavey USA Millennium Five, and I wonder if a Lakland 55-01 would not simply be more of the same thing. I know a 55-02 would offer some variety but I really want to stay under $750 or so. I figure that a passive single pup bass would be a nice change of pace and I would not have to worry about dead batteries either. Does anybody out there have a MTD Kingston with the fretless Ebonol fingerboard? Is it like the one on the Ibanez GWB bass?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you want to stay under $750, you're in luck, the Kingstons go for less than $475 (can't remember what the actual cost is. I got mine for $425!). And Ebonol is ebonol. I dunno about the GWB, but I've played a few, and it's just like any other ebonol board. Great quality nonetheless.

It's got a nice mid-grind on it, and if you want to listen to some crappy metal by a bunch of 17 year olds, I've got a recording of mine from 3 and a half years ago (christ, was it that long?) I did on it.