1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Kingston Heir, did you swap electronics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustobassman, Aug 18, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    So i just recently purchased Jsumbi's MTD Kingston Heir fiver that was on the classifieds, and after a couple of weeks i am stoked!!

However, the stock electronics just aren't doing it for me. after searching the forum, i didn't find much info, so my question goes out to Heir 5 owners. If you replaced the pickups/preamp what did you go with? I'm fond of the OBP-3 (and open to other suggestions! ;) ), but i'm not sure about what pickups to use. I'm not a big fan of ultra-defined, high-end sizzle so i'm hoping to use that as a starting point.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I forgot the the "rules"... here's an obligatory crappy cell phone pic.

3. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    So i can't possibly be the only person looking to swap guts/pickups on an MTD Kingston Heir. Am i?

Anyone else do this?

****crickets**** :p

4. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    I did! I bought the Bart direct replacement and then routed it for a SD 3 coil MM in the neck position as well. The Bart was fine and dandy but not a DIRECT fit for the route that was there. On reflection I would not have added the 2nd humbucker, but.......... you know........sometimes it is hard to stop the "upgrade" process :)

I have had three different preamps in there, the East MM-alike is great for the MM thing but I have an Audere in it at the moment (2nd one - I sold the first cos I KNEW I needed something else - it turns out I did not).

If I was to do it all again I would get the original pickup re-wound cos I am sure that would sort out that and I would go with an audere because the low Z setting makes it ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I haven't done it myself - still stock at the moment.

You could try asking here.

6. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Oh yeah, i forgot about that club thingy..