MTD Kingston / Heir owners... a little help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McGryff, Jul 6, 2002.

1. I've had a 5-string MTD Heir for a couple months now & have developed some tendonitis playing it. What I've found it that it's substantially neck-heavy & really wants to dive on me, and the weight also tends to dig into my left shoulder. Now, in every aspect this is easily the best bass I've ever played, but it's tough to play well when you're supporting the neck with your fretting arm... have any of you had this problem too? What have you done to counteract this? Thanks for any & all assistance!
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm...I've never noticed them to be that heavy, and they seem to balance well on a strap. What kind of strap are you using?
  3. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I'd look into another type of strap, too. Perhaps something with a shoulder pad device.
  4. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    basswood is one of the lightest woods possible for a bass.

that's odd, because i can take both my hands off my heir 5, dance around, and the bass stays level, no diving. with a super cheapo strap too~
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i echo what has been said- i have been exposed to many Heirs and Kingstons and never had a n issue with balance or comfort- that is one of Mike Tobias big pluses- extreme comfort good balance- may be your strap-
  6. My Kingston seems to balance well even though I put a lighter Hipshot bridge on it.You might try putting a heavier bridge on it like an ABM to help balance it better.The stock bridge sounds fine but it's a little hard to change the E abd Bstrings.
  7. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    did you have to drill holes? or was it a drop-in replacement?
    i've been thinking about upgrading the bridge too~
  8. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    3 things to try.

I have a BC Rich Handmade mockingbird with the same bad problem.

First- take your strap attach it to the neck side strap button on the horn, wrap it around your back like normal, but instead of going to the button on the back of the bass, Go back to the button on the horn or neck side of the bass. Did that correct the neck dive?

Second- Go to a fishing lure store and buy yourself some lead weights. put 'em in a Crown Royal bag and hang them off the strap button on the bottom.
    If you like that you can later have a little bag sewn onto the bottom of your strap-hanging or not, This should solve the problem. Alas it may add a substantial amount of weight.

Thirdly-A more drastic fix, would be to drill another strap button on the bass-lower towards the jack-this should fix the problem, but will require altering the bass and be extra careful you have the perfect place before you drill.

Hope it helps,
  9. Yes I had to drill new holes.It wasn't too hard to do though.I just had to make sure that the bridge sat at the right distance from the nut so the intonation screws would adjust right.Also the strings have to center over the pickup pole peices.If you do get a bridge make sure it has a 3/4" spacing between saddles or 3" overall width.The only reason I changed the bridge was to make string changing easier but I think it punches a little better also.I got mine from Carvin,it's the wide spaced 5-string one.It's aluminum with brass saddles.I think these are the same ones that came on the MTD Grendles.
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the bridges on the grendels were Hipshot style B bridges...
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I might put a new bridge on my K5...I can NOT fit anthing bigger than .130 through the hole, and if the base of the string is a little extra wrapped, it won't fit, and you have to have a but of string hanging out the back of the bridge. I'm in the situation now, and I know it can't be good for the B...I miss my taper core, never had a problem then! :mad:
  12. Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! Maybe I'm build funny or something. The bass doesn't want to stay up at the somewhat steep angle I try to keep it at (to keep my wrist straight). Right now I'm using a Comfort Strap, which is pretty damn comfortable, but the bass still seems to want to sink a little. Maybe if I get a padded leather strap... it'll have the grip of the suede underside, but the nice padding. I dunno. I've thought about having the strap button moved higher too, I might check that out with a local repair guy.
  13. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    oh, if you're one of those guys that wears the bass down at the knees (like most rockers do? :p), then i think neck dive might be an unavoidable fact of life. i don't know for sure cuz i wear my bass pretty high... maybe that's the reason for the different experiences.
  14. No, I do wear it pretty high, but i try to keep the neck angled up a bit so I don't have to crank my wrist around at an angle. I messed up my wrists so they don't like being bent too much while playing.