1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Kingston Heir vs KZ Zephyr

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Hi, I'm interested in buying a MTD Kingston Heir. I've currently got a MTD Kingston KZ 6 which I am generally happy with except for the low output. Just wondering if there is a significant difference in output between the Heir and the Zephyr, the reason being that I generally don't like to mess with the basses by modding them. Can I get away with gigging using the Heir without boost pedals or significant electronics upgrade and be happy with the level of output? Thanks.

2. On the Zephyr im gonna say ---maybe? depends on your amplification and the headroom it has. Im afraid your gonna have to Just run some sort of outboard preamp between your signal from your bass to your amp. So, I would suggest a Tech21 SansAmp, Aguilar Tonehammer or Aphex Bass Xciter. This will compensate for the low output (Bass Xciter REALLY makes it PHAT!). This will be cheaper and less intrusive than having to mod your basses.
    I dont recall the Heirs having output weakness like the KZs. The standard KZs I have played are OK. But A/Bd next to say my KZX or Saratoga you can tell the difference. Its like driving a car with one less cylinder firing.