Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston & Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoNoise, Mar 29, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I did some searching about these basses, but I wanted to ask a pretty specific question relating to the sound of these basses. I'm looking to get a rather dirty "stoner rock" and metal sound, so I was wondering if anyone could comment on the performance of the MTD Kingston or Heir for these genres. I have a great warm clean sound with my Jazz, so now I'm looking to get a little dirty... :p

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    How about an overdrive pedal instead?

3. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    LOL, I do think that would get me halfway there, but the other side is that I want a bass with a low B string. I only one one bass right now, my Jazz, and it is a 4 string. I don't want to sacrifice my G string for the low B on my only bass. If I get a second bass, even if it is only a 4 string. I wouldn't mind stringing it as BEAD. Thanks for your input, though ;)

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, in that case...

I've owned 2 MTD K5s myself, one passive, one modded to be active (which I still own and use a LOT).

They are very midrange-heavy, even with an active Bart preamp. This fact, in and of itself, gives the bass a ballsy tone.

Playability-wise, i absolutely LOVE the neck! The spacing is perfect for me (wide) and the assymetrical neck is a dream to play, at least for me.

The B-string is nice and tight and the hardware is solid.

You may or may not like the tone - it is "harsh" to some, but I've found that nickel strings help "soften" things a bit.

Overall, a well-made bass and a fantastic value.

5. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    When you say harsh, do you mean distorted/ not clean? If so, that is exactly what I'm looking for (harsh not clean). Have you ever played an Heir (I originally didn't mention it in this post but decided to edit it in). It has an extra pickup that may make it more versatile. On the other hand, the extra pickup may make it undesirable for some reason...?

6. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    can anyone post some sound samples of either an Heir or a Kingston. I would prefer to get some wide ranging sounds from low B (or even C?) to mid to upper range. If you have a 4-string, please still post, just let me know that is a 4 and not a 5-string. Also, if you coud post specifically if it is an Heir or Kingston, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll let Boulder confirm, but if it's typical MTD, I think he means very bright and crisp at the high end, and yeah, nickel strings would help with that.

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

First of all, I'm a dealer so deduct 10 points from anything that I say. :) I'm an MTD dealer as well, so deduct another 25. As if that's not bad enough, I actually play MTD basses cause I've loved Michaels work for 27 years!! Somebody should smack me! :bassist:

IMHO, you should run to your LOCAL MTD dealer and try out both basses. I think that you'll find them to be among the most versatile basses on the market. The Heir is especially nice because you can dial in a very well defined and filling lowend along with the punch that the Kingston is famous for. It's a tough combination to beat.

9. Have you gotten any of the Heirs with the preamps? I'm finally going to install the Aguilar 3-band in mine, and am anxious to know how they work out.