Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston, how are they?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by BrettAM, Jun 7, 2002.

1. I've been shopping around for a few months now looking for a new electric bass, I've always been a huge fan of Mike Tobias' basses (IMO he is one of the three finest luthiers ever) and I've become terribly partial lately to a MTD Kingston. However, I thought I'd get your opinion on them, since you play an Heir. I haven't had a chance to try one out yet since the closest dealer of them is about three hours away. So, could you give me your thoughts?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Brett,

I love MTD basses as well. I think the Kingston and the Heir are some of the best basses you can get for the money. They are easily better than many basses that sell for twice their price. They play wonderfully and I feel that they can take a player as far as they want to go. That being said, they do have a distinctive sound. They have a very modern sound with crsip highs and well defined mids. If your looking for a bass to play a little reggae-dub or imitate James Jamerson's P-Bass with flatwounds, this is probably not the best instrument.

There are some who feel that a bass has to be active to be good, that is just not the case. Passive instruments can sound great. I prefer to record with a passive bass because it sounds better. Although the Heir and the Kingston are both passive, there is room in the control cavity to add a preamp if you later want to. I know some people have. I love mine just the way it is.

Mike

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Hey Brett and Mike,
    Hope you don't think I'm butting in but I just got my Heir, remember me Mike I'm the guy who's wife held my bass untill my birthday.

Brett, it's really as good as advertised. I was a little skeptical never trying the Heir before I bought it. (What can I say I got a good deal) Especially the comment it plays as well as basses twice as much but I don't think now that's an exageratted claim.

The neck is really unbelivable in terms of action and overall detail. No string buzzing. Pickups give good solid tone. I wouldn't dream of modifying the bass. It's solid and light and plays very easily. I've gotten good tonal variation. Slaps like a dream, fingerstyle thumps. Mike's right it's all about modern bass tone. Although you can turn your treble down and solo the neck pickup on the Heir for a more vintage tone but P-basses are classic and so are the MTD's. I can't say enough good things about it. Can you tell I like it?

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Your wife's probably lucky that you like it as much as you do. Imagining having to wait all that time and then NOT like it. She'd prbably end up getting a vacuum cleaner for her next Birthday!

Congratualtions and good luck with it.

Mike