1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Kingston KZ6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rkejeepin, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Im getting ready to order one of these from MF (backordered :mad: ), but I havent played one. Has anyone here played one of the 6s, and if so can I possibly get some pros and cons? It looks to be a pretty sweet bass, but how does it play?

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    They're in stock and you can pick out the exact bass you'll get from theperfectbass.com

Not to mention, I hear they've got a "promotional code" that will get the price even lower than MF...if you look hard enough.

3. I wouldnt mind going elsewhere at all, but Im planning on putting it on my MF card.

Thanks though

4. You will love it!!! The only thing as some people have commented is that the electronics are a little thin sounding. BUt, it will be worth it to upgrade pickups and preamp down the line.
    I am waiting for a special edition Z5 coming down the line in 3 months.

5. here is the The Perfect Bass promo code for TBers. - TalkBass

Its a nice 10% discount!

6. Yeah, I read that about the electronics. I would probably change them out at some point.

Thats sweet about the SE. What is different about it? Are they gonna put out a 6er?

I wish MF had the satin amber finish like the ones on theperfectbass.com. That is just plain sexy with a maple neck, imo.

7. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I've been lookin at this one at Bass Central myself...

I'm not big on the wood p'up covers, but i can swap them out...

[​IMG]

8. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I have one and I really like it. It is true what they say about the stock electronics though. That is why I am gonna install an Aguilar OBP-3. Construction wise this bass is solid and one of the easiest playing 6 strings I have ever played.

Here is the link to the review I wrote up about this bass.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336733&highlight=mtd+zephyr+6

And here is a gratuitous mug shot!!

PICT0165.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I played one a week ago.
    Nice neck.
    Well made.
    Plays well.
    I did not like elecronics.
    Very thin sounding.

With better pickups. and a better bridge.
    This would be a good bass for the money.

I played both the 5 and 6 string models.
    I dug the 5-string better.

10. I have been wanting a Z5 with a maple fretboard, but do not like the satin finishes and I already have a Translucent Cherry Red MTD Saratoga 5. So, I was close to ordering a Tobacco burst with a maple fretboard.
    Then I saw these videos from NAMM and Andrew Gouche was playing what looked like a Trans Black Z5!
    So I emailed Mike Tobias after seeing it in the vids and he answered my question.
    He said this 1st one was specially made for Andrew. It will be a limited edition Z5 with Bartolini Pickups and electronics and will be available in the next 3-4 months. I didnt ask about a six.
    Soooo, I am waiting for this bad boy!! I setting aside my pennies!
    Check it out. Its got a burl top, black trans finish, black chrome hardware, Bart pickups, maple fretboard and check out the MTD logo is even black chrome!!! Sweet!
    http://bassplayer.tv/index.html?req=1&station=bpsummernamm07&video=bptv/namm07/bptv_h07_epifanidemo

11. they got the same at theperfectbass.com too. Used the TalkBass promo code and get it for $899.00 free shipping!!

12. hey I noticed you are one of the guys that uses a scrunchy for a vibration damper. I saw these recently and maybe it would work for you. Ive never tried using a scrunchy and dont know what it does for your tone/sound.

http://www.teslatek.com/vida.html

13. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The scrunchy is for guys who tap a lot. You pull the scrunchy over the nut and it kills open string ring-outs while tapping. Slide it back over the nut when you are done tapping and resume normal fingerstyle playing. Very handy. I don't think the thing you posted in that link would do the same thing, but it looks kind of cool anyways.

14. thanks! man been playing 25 years and never asked anybody what they were using it for.