Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston Neck Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groovit, Jun 14, 2005.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Hey all-

I'd been having some neck issues with my 5 string Kingston, and it needed a truss rod adjustment, so rather than screw around with it, I dropped it off at a local place to get set up. Two days later, I get a call form the tech who tells me that the truss rod is maxed and can't be turned. He tells me that his luthier can fix it for around $400, or I can get a new neck.

Are those my only options? Right now the action is so bad that it is almost unplayable. It's a fretless, so there's no mwah, no nothing. Does MTD even sell replacement necks? I have not contacted them yet, wanted to find out my options first.

TIA!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    $400 sounds a little steep for this repair, if the rod is a basic compression-type rod.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    If you bought the bass new from a dealer, I'd check with them first. Otherwise, Contact Mike directly at MTD. He stands behind his products and has helped me with a similiar issue but that was years ago regarding a Czech built MTD Grendel.

No way would I pay for $400 repair on a $800 bass or whatever you paid for it. Better to "raise a little stink" and get someone to help you. Again, if its a new instrument, you should have recourse.

good luck.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    You can get replacement necks. tonenazi's suggestion is right on; I'd be surprised if Mike couldn't help you.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

Mike WILL help you - trust me! He helped me secure a Bart replacement for a Kingston 5 and he offered a pickguard replacement as well.

mike@mtdbass.com

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
  7. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Thanks for the replies. I'm actually not sure how old it is. I certainly did not purchase it new, but the two previous owners had taken excellent care of it. I will definitely contact Mike and find out what he can do. Thanks for the help!