1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Kingston Neck Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groovit, Jun 14, 2005.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Hey all-

I'd been having some neck issues with my 5 string Kingston, and it needed a truss rod adjustment, so rather than screw around with it, I dropped it off at a local place to get set up. Two days later, I get a call form the tech who tells me that the truss rod is maxed and can't be turned. He tells me that his luthier can fix it for around $400, or I can get a new neck.

Are those my only options? Right now the action is so bad that it is almost unplayable. It's a fretless, so there's no mwah, no nothing. Does MTD even sell replacement necks? I have not contacted them yet, wanted to find out my options first.

TIA!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    $400 sounds a little steep for this repair, if the rod is a basic compression-type rod.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    If you bought the bass new from a dealer, I'd check with them first. Otherwise, Contact Mike directly at MTD. He stands behind his products and has helped me with a similiar issue but that was years ago regarding a Czech built MTD Grendel.

No way would I pay for $400 repair on a $800 bass or whatever you paid for it. Better to "raise a little stink" and get someone to help you. Again, if its a new instrument, you should have recourse.

good luck.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    You can get replacement necks. tonenazi's suggestion is right on; I'd be surprised if Mike couldn't help you.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

Mike WILL help you - trust me! He helped me secure a Bart replacement for a Kingston 5 and he offered a pickguard replacement as well.

mike@mtdbass.com

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
  7. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Thanks for the replies. I'm actually not sure how old it is. I certainly did not purchase it new, but the two previous owners had taken excellent care of it. I will definitely contact Mike and find out what he can do. Thanks for the help!