Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston or Heir? What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justin V, Dec 13, 2002.

1. MTD Kingston 5

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. MTD Heir 5

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Ok, so I've finally got a decent amount of discretionary income to throw into a new rig (don't you just love Christmas? :D ). I've been looking at various 5-strings online and was wondering what the tonal difference was between the MTD Kingston and Heir fivers. Is it worth the extra $150 or so to have the J-pup in the bass? I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

2. Personally I use my bass' neck pickup about once in every 5,678,940 times I play it, so to me no it wouldn't be worth it. But ultimatly only you can make the call on whether or not you need it.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree. Ive played both and I used the MM more.

Thats why I got the Kingston.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want a flamed maple top, the Heir comes with it, It costs $150 more on the Kingston. If you want a painted body, I say get the Kingston.

5. I've got an Heir, and I like it better than the couple of Kingstons I've played. I rarely solo either pup, and I usually lean more towards the MM. I'd still say go for the Heir. It leaves you with more options tone-wise. However, I think that the MM on the heir is closer to the bridge on the Heir than on the Kingston, so you can't get the exact same sound on either one. The MM soloed on the Heir is too nasal sounding for my tastes. The MM also has MUCH higher output than the Jazz, if that matters.