1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Kingston Saratoga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    How are these? Digging Rob Trujillo's crisp Infectious Grooves tone, hoping to get something close to that.

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I've never even seen one. I have played an Heir at Bass Club Chicago. Build quality was great. The one I played was a five string and the asymmetrical neck made it very comfortable to play. I think the Saratoga would be more of the same with a different pickup configuration and without the preamp. I did not plug in the one I played but given the electronics differences anything I could tell you about the tone of the Heir would not apply to the Saratoga. The Kingstons are good basses, I'd have bought that one if I could afford to buy any bass right now.

Ken

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    That's where the groove behind Ozzy's Perry Mason came from

And you can reach that kinda sound on the Saratoga

Pickup configuration and spacin' is the one Rob tends to favor today with Warwicks as well, and up until ten years ago with Fernandes.

Only downside bein', as he's a so heavy hitter, his basses are not that powerful, so the Saratoga is not as well;)

Very well crafted, balanced and finished for its price, just no
    "cannonball" at all down to sheer output

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Im pretty sure Rob used Tobias Basic or Classics. He also doesnt have the original pickups. He seems to favor active EMG Js. The Kingston Saratogas are passive.

The MTD neck dimensions are different that the Tobias basses. Actually much better.

So drop in a set of EMGs and a good preamp and you are there

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Geezer Butler played on the Ozzmosis album, not Rob.