Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston series...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 14, 2005.

1. Okay, I think I decided on a new bass. I have been looking at the 500-600 "mid-range" basses, and i was reccomended by some of you here to check out BassCentral here in FL, and I was told that the MTD Kingston series would be a good bass for me try out.

Do any of you have any comments to make about this series? Pros, Cons, likes, dislikes? Anything I need to know before I go test it?

PS, Ive also been looking at Schecter Diamond Series Studio 5 string bass... Any comments on those?

PPS, if you're going to reccomend me another bass, the criteria is less a than(or moderately around) 600, 5 string, and active.

Thanks,
    Ryan.

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Pros - light, growls easily, very sensitive to location of plucking fingers, relatively wide neck (good for ME!), asymetrical neck, maple, maple f/b, zero fret, Buzz Feiten tuning system, very good tones (but the amp plays a large part in that, too), good sustain, good craftsmanship. . . I'm sure that I could think of others. I have owned mine since February and most of my other basses haven't seen the stage since.

Cons - hmmm. . . lemme think a while. It is available in black only for a lefty (like me).

I also bought the gig bag with it, so I got the bag for $79, and it is much, much better than I thought I would get for that amount of money.

I would highly recommend them, together or separately.

BTW: I also own an Alembic Orion, G&L and a Carvin. Do not falsely expect Alembic-type quality or wood in any $500 bass. But, you will not be disappointed in what you get. I am not. In fact, I know a guy who bought a second one (this one active). PM me and I will give you his address to email him.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Check on the BF tuning system...there's another recent thread here that expresses some dissatisfaction.

I think it looks like a nice bass on paper, but I have not played one...and I don't like that pickguard. But that's all personal

4. [​IMG]
    This is the the one I am considering purchasing... Im my opinion, just beautiful!

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I just picked up a Kingston Active 4 for the hell of it (1 pu in the MM spot) and it's a nice bass. Overall, good construction and comfortable with a very respectable 3 band preamp for its price range. My only criticism is that it has "decent" fret work but not great. That's the trade off for its price range, however.

Death, my 4 looks exactly like yours. If its in your price point you won't be disappointed. It's a great bass. I've owned and own several "high end" basses and am a stickler for boutique style fret work. I've gotten spoiled. :)

6. I had a Kingston 5, and I loved everything about it except the tone. It played amazingly, and it looked really nice too... but I found it lacking in bottom end, even after I dropped a Bartolini 3 band preamp in it. It's a got a barky sound, not a full, deep one. It's probably due to the lack of a neck pickup. Still, a great instrument, I may pick up another one at some point.

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    The dealer where I bought mine offers an upgrade to an American-made Bart for about $125. I am still thinking about it. Personally, I like the tones I get, but, as I said earlier, much of the tone comes from the amp as well as the instrument. (I have two very, very good amps!)