Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston? Thinking About Joining the Club...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 8, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I posted this in another thread and got a few good responses, but I'd hoped for a little more info. I'm interested in getting a MTD Kingston or Kingston Heir. I've heard and read nothing but rave reviews about these bases. How do you guys like yours? Anyone dislike them?

Can anyone shed some light on the tonal differences between the 2? I'm not much of a jazz bass lover, more of a MM, G&L type of guy. Does the Jazz pickup in the Heir add more versatility in terms of available tones?

I'm also undecided between the active an passive electronics in these basses? I'm a fan of both sounds, but have been leaning towards active more these days. Plus active barts have a great reputation which also makes me think thats the way to go.

The other big question I have is...How do they play? Thanks in advance! :)

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    personally, i feel that i need to swap out my pickup. its hotter than my active carvin and it is abit too much for me.

that is the ONLY negative thing i can find out about this bass. it is very light, plays like a dream, if you like thin and wide necks, and balances well.

i will be buying more in the future. i want a Saratoga now. :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I probably already gave my 2 cents in your other thread, but i believe they are the best import basses for the money. I really like the design and all of tobias's designs.

Great tone, great attention to detail, good construction.

The active will probably be more lively than the passive.. as is the case with all active/passive comparisons. more tonal variation..etc.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    When you say too much, do you mean its actually too loud. Or like a noisy bright hot? (If that makes any sense ;) )

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably just has a high output. I havent noticed that this is a problem, and if it is just plug it into the active input on your amp and you're good to go. or simply turn down the volume on the bass.

6. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    I have a passive Kingston 5. The neck feels like it was made just for me. I love the tone, the playability... great for fingerstyle and slap--- I love this bass.... except the way it looks. I actually dislike the appearance... sparkly blue with a weirdly shaped pickguard. But that doesn't stop me from using it as my main bass.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yeah, i have to keep my volume at about 50% on the bass other wise it starts to clip my preamp.

the B string on mine is really loud too.

i got mine used for a pretty good deal and it's my favorite bass that i have right now.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nice.

I'm kinda on the fence about the pickguard too. Thats why I'm leaning towards the Heir:
    [​IMG]

9. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    The Kingston active definitly has a very hot output. Even in the Active imput of my amp. It is a very powerfull bass.

10. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    The active kingstons do not have a pickguard on them

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Do the pickups have adjustable pole pieces?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No they do not... I dont think.

13. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I can vouch for that. I'm actually going to put mine up for sale (active 5, trans red) as soon as I can take fresh pics of it.

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ahhhhh ha. I Sholud've looked a little closer.

15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Compared to a G&L L2000 (my current bass), how hot would you say the output on the active kingstons are?

16. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    AFAIK, the pickguard has nothing to do with active or passive. You can see older Heirs with the pickguard, too. None of the new Kingston models have one. It's a shame really. I get a lot of compliments about my Kingston and the "sweet" pickguard.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the pickguard myself , as well.

18. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Here are pics of mine from a year ago when I bought it... it's pretty much in the exact same condition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still gonna take some fresh pics of it though.

19. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    I actually like both with or without the pickguard. I do like the active electronics better than the passive. I would definitly recommend getting one. I'm thinking about getting another myself.

As far as the output of the kingston compared to a G&L? Couldn't tell ya. I just know that it's loud...... I usally keep the volume on my bass around the half way mark give or take.

I would say definitly check one out. Either way if Midnight Jazz does put his up for sale or even check on the bay.... or you could just go with a new one....

But definitly check'em out.:bassist:

20. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004

Ha ha, Just like mine.....