Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaBassman, Feb 19, 2006.

1. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I love my Kingston (weight, asymetrical neck shape, looks)....but the tone is just too treble-ly for me. I think that MM pickup has to go.....:crying:
    Short of replacing that pick up, (which doesn't appear so easy to find one that fits, AND I'm a lefty so, it's backwards!!!) any other suggestions? (different type of strings, amp adjustments, changing electronics in it)
    thanks

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Talk to James at "theperfectbass.com" I bought a lefty Kingston 5-string from him a year ago (when the active ones came out) and there is an American-made Bart that is a perfect replacement for the Korean-made Bart that came in it.

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Will do! Thanks

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Turn..down..the..tone knob?

5. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    That's it!!!
    I had it on 11!

Derek Smalls

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yep - I replaced my K5 pickup with the aforementioned Bart. Makes all the difference in the world.

Grasshopper at Bass Central can also get you one.

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Honestly, I haven't replaced the stock pup in mine. I have thought about it, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

I play through an SWR Silverado Special (2x12's) and sometimes add a 1x15 BagEnd, and I can definitely get a great sound using the Kingston, so I am in no rush to replace anything just yet. But, I probably will get it changed this summer. The Kingston's neck, the weight, the way it rides, etc., are just great.

8. First thing that came to mind when I read "K5" was the Ibanez Fieldy Signature... *shudder*

-ryan-

9. mine haves an Bart pre amp,didn't changed the pick up,sounds great.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i just bought one used yesterday.

i have the tone knob turned to about 50% because i find it very bright also; But then it gets very bass heavy and actually clips my preamp more than my active Carvin.

i will be going with a new Bartolini in the near future for that bass.

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Try different kinds of strings. Strings are responsible for at least 50% of your tone.

If you don't like flatwounds, try pressure or compression roundwounds.

I had a lefty Kingston too (maybe I sold it to you?) and I used to string it with TI flats and it was nice and warm, with gobs of midrange. Never thought of it as bright. I aslo EQ my amp lots of bass, which in term cuts treble.

12. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Just put D'Adarrio chromes on it and that helped. I have also been running it thru a Sans Amp, which helps.
    I bought the bass from MF a few years ago and had Mike Tobias do a set up on it. He wasn't real happy with the taper on the tone knob either. It goes from full treble to almost full bass in a 1/4 of a turn.

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i think mine suffers from the same tone knob problem.

in addition, mine is also scratchy so i was going to replace it anyways.

14. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    But they ARE great basses, aren't they? And Mike Tobias is very friendly and helpful whenever you have a question.
    I'm saving up for the new Korean model (higher end) coming out later this year!:hyper:

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    indeed. i love mine so far. in fact, once i get the pickup and tone knobs swapped and put straplocks on it, i think it will be replacing my Carvin as my main instrument.

the new one..is that the Zephyr?

16. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    That's the working name for it so far, I guess. Will be in the $1500 +/- list range, like the Saratoga.
    (btw, your Kingston may already be straplock compatible)

Just got some black/white pearl topped knobs (my bass is the black with pearl pickguard) to replace originals. Looks great!
    From an ebay store, GuitarFetish, I think it was called.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Discovered a small problem with mine last night as I was playing it. It seems that the B-string nut slot is now too deep, causing the string to grind against the zero-fret, making for a horrific buzzing noise.

I need to get it fixed, but I was all set to use it for studio recording tonight! :(

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i think mine are compatible but i dont have any extra strap side parts.

where did you find the info on the upcoming model? i only recall the name from one of my friends who mentioned it to me.

19. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    From Mike Tobias. I was inquiring about other lefty models that might be coming from his Korean manufacturers.
    I live about 2 hours from him and have visited there a few times. He's a very nice guy and stands behind all his basses, whether he built them himself or not.
    Someday, after the kids are all thru college, I hope to have him build a lefty for me!

20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    very cool. thanks.

i sent him an email in the hopes that i can ascertain what year mine was made.