Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mtd kingston vs g&l L-2000 tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Which do you guys prefer mtd kingston or g&l L-2000 tribute,I play r&b,funk and gospel.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I havent played the G & L but i love the look/feel/sound of the kingston.

3. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I'd prefer Tribute. It isn't as downgrade as kingston is from the usa series. And it is versatile. This is mostly based on other peoples reviews in the case of kingston cos I haven't played one yet.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Tribute due to its electronics and body woods. The new version of the Kingston is worth a look, though.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I don't think you'd be disappointed with either, both are excellent bang-for-the-buck axes.

Really depends on what your after (as if anything musically-related doesn't.) In my experience:

Kingston has a great tone, but is nearly a one-trick pony. Good craftsmanship, good playability. Passive.

Tribute L2K will give you more tone-shaping options, which may be favorable considering your diverse playing styles. The tribute will also likely give you more bottom end on demand than the Kingston will allow. Good craftsmanship, good playability. Active and Passive.

Again, both are great, very playable, budget basses with great tones. The G&L just happens to have more tones at your disposal.

6. I have a 96' USA made L2000 and love it. it has so many great tones and is a joy to play. so I would vote for G&L, but I have not had much experience with a kingston.

7. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    The Kingston will give you a modern tone, while the G&L will give you more of a "vintagy" Fender type tone.

It's all about which tone you're looking for.

I owned a K5 fretless. Sounded good, and the asymmetric neck was wonderful.

I have never played the G&L, but from what I hear it's a good bass.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    G&L Tribute. Of course I'm very G&L biased :) I had a K4F for a few days and like someone above said, its a one trick pony. One pickup with a tone knob. It sounded really good and felt wonderful (gotta love the asymetrical neck) But I prefer the tone variety and more "traditional" look of the G&L

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the NEW Kingston with the onboard pre, may tip the scales on this one.

most have commented on the original passive K.

f

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    There's a new one? Eh, haven't seen it yet. Is it still one pickup?

I would still have to vote for the G&L.

11. New Kingston & Heir Active -
    3 band EQ, No Pickguard, Transparent finishes, Basswood OR Ash Bodies will be available.
    Here's a pic my Brand New Kingston 5 I bought at the show, and it is a monster. No more one trick pony at all!!!

12. Here's a pic of the new Active Heir from the MTD booth at NAMM:

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I stand by my response :)

14. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Purdy.....

[​IMG]

15. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
  16. i had a kingston 5 string and it was a piece of garbage... the output was the lowest of all the basses that ive had (30+ basses)... and it just didnt live up to the hype that people talk about the kingston.... slap tone was HORRIBLE!!!! the neck was pretty much its only saving grace... it didnt look bad either... id skip it unless you plan on upgrading the electronics... its a very mediocre bass aside from the neck / playability factors... aside from that the stock pickup / preamp suck... it could be cool with the right electronics, but stock, it sucks!!!!!!!

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I think what egotistical was trying to say is: the Kingston needs a preamp, and I agree, but wouldn't call the bass crap! the quality is on par for the price, nice necks, great looks, and lightweight. The humbucker in it doesn't sound like a humbucker to me, all mids, and no real fat tone you would expect from a bucker.

I haven't tried the tributes, but if it sounds anything like the US L-series, it will smoke the Kingston, if a fat musicman-ish tone is what you're after.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    FME, you have that exactly bass-ackwards

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Purdy Indeed, I wonder, does the preamp give it the fat, musicman ballpark kind of sound? The passive models were further off than the OLP rays.

20. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Tim,

You think the G&L would give you a more modern tone than the MTD? I thought that's pretty much what MTD's do (the modern thing)...

I guess I'm confus-ti-cated....

:confused:

Don