MTD Kingston Z5 Puckup Change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Aug 25, 2009.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I'm looking to change out the stock pickups in my MTD Z5 5 string bass. are there any pickups that fit this bass already without any cutting or hole drilling? I hope to get something high output and really punchy for a good slap sound, also not to noisy. I'm also going to change the preamp... Any suggestions on pups and good preamp combinations? Thanks!

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I would start with changing the preamp, especially since the pickups in the KZ are split humbuckers. I put a Bartolini NTMB in my active Heir and it made a world of difference.

3. Nordstrand soapbars will fit, as will the Bartolinis. The Bart preamp is a popular choice, as is Aguilar and Glockenklang.

4. Fitobass

Fitobass

May 6, 2004
    Rincon, PR
    MTD Kingston - Bassist
    Any major sonic difference between this 3 preamps?
    I'm looking for a warmer/woody sound

5. Describing tone in words is haphazard at best. I would say the pickups are going to make more of a difference than the preamp which really only accentuates the properties of the pickups themselves. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021