1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Kingston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Dec 7, 2003.

1. any reviews of the kingston. i just ordered a fretless 5, the price was right for a secondary bass. the only thing that concerns me is the relatively limited tone control. anyone have any opinions?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hm. Well, I guess it's as limited as the tone control on a Jazz or Precision Bass, or a Rickenbacker, or whatever, but it didn't bother me when I had a Kingston (playing a P bass now). Having said that, by virtue of its pickup location, it's going to have a focused, growly tone. If you want the P-bass tone, or the "low hovering cloud" tone, it ain't in there. I think they're great basses, miles ahead of anything else in their price range.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a lefty K5. It does have a nice ballsy sound. I took me awile to get used to the wide neck, but it does have a slender profile. The intonation is exellent. Good luck with yours!

4. thanks, i'll post my thoughts when i get the bass (hopefully in yhe next few days).

5. it arrived this morning. i gave a once over during my lunch break. i like a lot so far, it is suprisingly versatile for only one pickup and tone knob. but now i have to goback to work, it'll be tested in practice tonight and live on thursday, i'll post my thoughts.