Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Dec 7, 2003.

1. any reviews of the kingston. i just ordered a fretless 5, the price was right for a secondary bass. the only thing that concerns me is the relatively limited tone control. anyone have any opinions?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hm. Well, I guess it's as limited as the tone control on a Jazz or Precision Bass, or a Rickenbacker, or whatever, but it didn't bother me when I had a Kingston (playing a P bass now). Having said that, by virtue of its pickup location, it's going to have a focused, growly tone. If you want the P-bass tone, or the "low hovering cloud" tone, it ain't in there. I think they're great basses, miles ahead of anything else in their price range.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a lefty K5. It does have a nice ballsy sound. I took me awile to get used to the wide neck, but it does have a slender profile. The intonation is exellent. Good luck with yours!

4. thanks, i'll post my thoughts when i get the bass (hopefully in yhe next few days).

5. it arrived this morning. i gave a once over during my lunch break. i like a lot so far, it is suprisingly versatile for only one pickup and tone knob. but now i have to goback to work, it'll be tested in practice tonight and live on thursday, i'll post my thoughts.