MTD Kingston......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaoslord, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Hey I am very intrigued by this bass, specifically the 5 string version with a maple board.

I was talking to one of the guys at Bass Northwest today about it and it has all the features that a Stingray 5 lacks in my opinion (35" scale, tilt back headstock, asymetrical neck, etc.). In our discussion I asked him about direct pickup replacment and he said both the Ernie Ball MM pickup and the Bartolinni MM pickup are direct replacements for the MTD.

Now I've played a MM Stingray 5 in the past and loved it except for a few things, mainly the neck profile and the lack of tightness in the B. Which brings me to my question.

If I was to replace the MTD electronics with an Ernie Ball or Bartollini pickup and active preamp how close do you figure I could get to a MM sound ? Do Ernie Ball sell the preamps and pickups for Stingray 5's ?

If I could get even realitivly close to a MM tone (yes I realize that only a MM will sound exactly like a MM, but I'm just looking to get close) then this bass will be a godsend for me. At that point it would have every feature I want at less than half what a Stingray 5 that I wouldn't be completely happy with would cost me.

All opinions and suggestions welcome. Thanks alot.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Good call, KONG dude. How about a Bart or S/D Tone Circuits preamp,
    but use stacked pots? Orrrr...get out the drill :eek: . That control
    cavity should accommodate at least one more pot.
  3. The Kingston does indeed only have two knobs. However both using stacked pots and also drilling more holes are options which don't bother me. From looking at the cavity cover on the back it looks as though it could hold two more pots.

For the sake of argument lets say that they will indeed fit. Would you guys then say that it is indeed a viable option to get close to a stingray sound ?

KONG: Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this idea.
  4. Hey Chaoslord, I saw that axe in Bass Player recently, and it looked pretty good to me, especially the price.(although I do prefer a rosewood or ebony board) If you' re up to tinkering
    with the insides of the bass, I'd say go for it! Bartolini makes four different replacement pickups
    for the Musicman bass; the first one is supposed to
    be pretty close in sound to the original, then they
    get progressively brighter as you move down the list. You can see them all at

Good luck,
    Mike J.
  5. Thanks for the link, the Barts look like the way to go as far as replacements are concerened. My favorite pickups are EMG's but they don't make a MM replacement.

Oh and just in case you're interested they do offer the Kingston with a Rosewood board, I just prefer Maple. :D

Check it out...