Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ely, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I haven't posted in a really long time, but I had a question concerning this particular bass. I remember when they first came out there were threads on them all over the place. Now I can't find any information on them at all. I played the 4-string version at my local music store and absolutely loved it. The owner said he would order a 5 string for me to try out. I was just wondering if they age well, any issues they may have, and if it would make a good replacement for my Peavey Grind NTB, which has a great tone, but I can't stand the way it feels. Sorry if this post seems at all incoherent or maybe it doesn't even have a point to it at all.

2. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I've had my MTD KH4 for about 3 years now-- :bassist:
    It's a mod (BA II, Barts) but it's still sounds good...A barely noticeable chip on the side of the maple fb.
    It gets regular checkups, too

I have a friend who plays guitar and bass..He is a Warwick fanatic---while not a fan of Korean made gear, he was impressed with the Kingston's playability,weight :p and overall smoothness.

3. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I love mine. I bought mine used from a fellow TBer and it's been my main axe since January. He used it as his main bass for a couple years prior to me owning it so I'd say it would hold up over the years. They're really well constructed so I don't see a problem with these holding up for decades if well cared for.

It might take you a bit to get used to the neck but once you do it's super comfortable to play on.

Are you going to go active or passive?

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Got my Kingston 5 from a fellow TBer and it has a Bart preamp and Bart pickup and it is SWEET!!! It has held up quite well and is one of my main gigging basses (along with my Stingray).

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm waiting on them to make a Kingston 6 :(

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Man, I wish!

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Man, just today I was thinking the exact same thing! There's a Kingston four down at the local shop, and it's up for pretty cheap. I was just thinking about trading in my Grind and shelling out a few bucks for the Kingston... But I don't know if I could do it. I love the Kingston, but my Grind is a real keeper, one of the nice ones.

8. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004

+ 1

Back to the topic...
    I own a Kingston 5 Active, and love it. It has been my main bass for a while now and i haven't had any probs at all...

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What's up with Heir 5 Actives? I saw a couple of pics right after NAMM a year or so ago. But I have never seen any in person, or even online since then.

I had narrowed my choices down to a 55-02,and either an Heir 5, or a Cort/Elrick JPS 5.

One has to be fretless. I was thinking the Lakland should be the fretted. So now I guess, since the JPS 5 is discontinued, the fretless needs to be an Heir 5.

So where are they?

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    saw lots @ bass central