MTD Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Has anybody played one of these? If so, what do you think? I have already ordered and returned 2 Stingrays now because they buzzed way to much. I love that BIG Stingray sound, but I really can't deal with all of the buzzing. Has anybody found that the Kingston is even comparable in tone? Also, do they buzz too? Thanks in advance.
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I own one of these and think they are awesome for the price. It's priced only half as much as the Ray, so that's something to consider when trying one out. If you want to do a search on 'Kingston', there's been a lot of discussion regarding these basses in recent months. Overall I was very satisfied with my K5, it's totally worth what I paid.

The tone of the Kingston is hard to place, it doesn't sound like any other bass to me really. If it were made of alder, I might say it would sound most like a Fender. Since it's made of basswood, this yields something a little different. It's simply a no nonsense passive bass with good sound. One nice thing is that the light body wood makes it a pleasure to sling up, and it balances very well.

Mine was setup well from the factory, all I did was change the strings. I have yet to adjust the truss rod and I've noticed no fret buzz worth mentioning. I think the Lo Riders are wonderful on this bass, and the action is great. The B is nice and tight and all strings are balanced well. This bass is a player no doubt. The string spacing is a wide 3/4 too, so any style is possible.

The neck is very easy to play, slim and very flat. The pickup is quiet and responsive. The hardware, finish, and electronics are all more than adequate for a bass in this price range, no complaints. You could get two Kingstons for the price of a Ray. If you try one of these and like it, that leaves a good $500-600 you would have spent on the Ray. That's enough for another amp should you want one. I paid $449 delivered for the black/maple one, no regrets whatsoever.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Unless the instrument is a budget bass (which the 'ray is not) buzzing is usually the result of faulty setup rather than the instrument itself. I would have given the Stingrays a truss-rod tweak before you sent them back.

That being said, the Kingstons are good basses for the money: nice materials, fast neck, lightweight body. If you can put up with the goofy-looking pickguard, I'd say buy.
  4. :eek:

Or maybe the bridge saddles needed to be raised! A simple, routine adjustment would have had either of those Stingrays in good order in a matter of minutes. I can't believe the dealer didn't point this out to you. Where'd you get them, Al's Discount Bass Barn? ;)
  6. Of course I raised the saddles and adjusted the trussrod! It drove me so crazy that I had to call EB.I actually spent a good amount of time talking with a tech and tweaking the bass. After all was said and done, he said the bass sounded like the kneck may have been bunk and to send it back to EB. Instead I had MF send me a new one and not only did it buzz, there was a huge scratch in the grain! Rather than dealing with it, I returned it. Don't get me wrong, I am still on a quest for a new Ray, but Kingston kind of caught my curiousity.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I am not a fan of Music Man basses: love the sound, but hate the feel. But, that's my thing. That aside, I've got to say that I'm shocked that you've been having problems with them! They're great basses!

That said, perhaps a problem is that Musician's Friend is not able to take care of you properly. I noticed your profile indicates that you're in Ft. Lauderdale. Just outside Orlando is Bass Central, which I've heard great things about. They're a Music Man dealer and supposedly have excellent pricing, perhaps better than Musician's Friend(???)

Look them up on their website or call them. Talk to them and see what they've got to say. Maybe you won't have the same problems with Music Mans when dealing with these guys.

That said, I only support this because you say you're still in search of a Music Man. If you wanted the Kingston, then go for the Kingston. But, if you're getting that to temporarily fill a void, there's no point in getting it. No bass is going to sound like the Music Man!

BTW: I've only heard excellent things about the Kingston as well. I'm not trying to bash the Kingston. If the situation were reversed, I'd tell you to do the same with the Kingston:D