1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 21, 2006.

1. i did a quick search, but didnt come up with the answers i wanted....how is the tone with these basses? are they individual or are they a bit musicman-y...hows the slap tone? is it very punchy?...i never knew how "cheap" they are...i thought all the MTD's were more expensive than what i thought...id be more interested in the active model in snow pearl with a maple board..mmmm

mtd_k5_sp_m_f.

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    The "older" models are passive - and they have the crescent moon-shaped pickguard (as in the picture). The "newer" ones are active, and they have no pickguard. The one in your photo is passive.

I have the active model. It is more Stingray sounding than, say, P-sounding or J-sounding. Very punchy. You can dial in several good, usable tones. Slaps well. Very bright, almost too bright, but that can be fixed by turning the knob. It hangs well, very playable - the best neck of all my basses. The Kingston and Heir are both made in Korea, which explains the price.

Do a search here - all this has been discussed at length at talkbass.

3. i did a search, i didnt find the answers i wanted....the MTD website says you can choose between active or passive, scratchplate or no scratchplate

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea,

I noticed varieties of each, at Bass Centrals website.

5. Georges Abitbol

Georges Abitbol Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Paris, France
    You can ask the question here:
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/tobiasmtdbasses/
    There is some Kingston users...