Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, May 6, 2002.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    does anyone have one, or played one?
    i am looking into getting one and they look nice and i hear people talking good about them all the time so i figure why not.

on the 5'ers does it have good string spacing, i like alot of room there so i can just fall into my style quickly. it has passive controls, so does it have active electronics. i might see how it is when i get it if i get it and might think of getting it fully active and adding a jazz pup to her. maybe 2 jazz pups to her.
    thanks
    Lukas

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Plenty of people have, or have played one. Do a search on "Kingston". Do another search on "Heir".

3. No active electronics. However, you can add a pre-amp for ~$150-250 and make that bass into a MONSTER!!

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    correct me if im wrong but an active preamp just boosts the signal to the amp so you get more volume.

that seems cool, but id rather just slap some active pups in it cause i can keep the spare pups for when i build a bass. i love active aswell, i think passive sounds great but active gives me the 'bang' that i like to hear. with the bass that i build ill be doing alot of different things and experimenting with shape and pups and stuff. so it all works out for the better.......maybe.
    later
    Lukas

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    actually - an active preamp adds a lot more than volume- it usually adds a lot more tonal variations- if you wanna give a listen to the Kingston and Heir- check them out at my site
    www.access-bass.com- there are some short samples that i did there- look around, youll find them- peace!

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    what amp are you playing through in the sound samples and were there any adjustments to the bass.

that is like the exact sound im looking for....well id put a itty bit more mid or high in there so it 'hits' more. but thats just me :D
    later
    Lukas

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ashton - the signal went direct to pro tools , no amp- just the onboard eq on the bass- , which is super simple in the Kingston and Heir- a single tone knob-the sound in IN the bass- remarkable for the price-the idea is to get as close to what actually goes in the input of your amp-

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    does that mean that no matter what amp i play through my bass will sound like sh!t. :D

i cant work out what to buy now, kingston or heir. definatly 5 string and definatly in tobacco sunburst.
    hmmmmm.....tough decision but ill eventually make the right choice. how tight is the B on them?
    thanks
    Lukas

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Im not sure what that meant, but i can't attest to your playing. I was merely trying to give you an idea what the basses sounded like

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    it means that if i buy a bass like that any amp i could buy with my money in the next 10 years wont ever do it justice.

if only i lived in USA, everything basically would be half price :)
    later
    Lukas

11. Hi
    I just bought a Kingston 5 and the B string is great.I bought it for a backup to my Peavey Millenium 5 which costs almost 3 times as much and the B string is just as good.For what you want to do the Heir would work better cause you wouldn't have to carve it up to add pickups.I'll probably add a pre amp to mine so I can EQ on stage but they sound good without it too.

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm a Kingston Konvert.

i've had mine for about a month now.

just replaced the neck with an unlined fretless phenolic fongerboard.

i was amazed at how EASY it was to dial in my favorite setup.

i can get a much flatter relief and lower action on my Kingston than i EVER could on my MIM Jazz.

i too, thought about adding a pre.

but, ya know, i love the sound the way it is.

very simple arrangement.

i'm leaving well enough alone.

i have a few samples of the Kingston at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altguitarbass/

fred