Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD kingston5/Heir5 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danhorne, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm looking into picking one of these up for my next bass and am a little bit confused about the Buzz Feiten Tuning system they are mentioned to have. Is this a good thing? does it eleminate the open string notes (B through G, on a 5'er of course) or what exactly does it do??? aswell as anything less you can add about these basses would be nice. I'll post up more questions in here tomarrow once i think of them. thanks

yours truely,
    the very confused
    Dan

2. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Here's a link to the buzz feiten page which should describe it better than I could.

As far as the Kingston goes. I bought one a couple weeks ago from a fellow TB'er. I love the bass. I was looking at a Jazz IV for a while. I wrapped my hands around the neck on the Kingston and knew that it was for me and completely forgot about the JazzIV. Very good craftsmanship, nice tone, tight B, extremely comfortable neck, B string matches output of other strings fairly well. Overall I would rate this bass a high value for cost(especially if you can find one in great shape used)

Only negative(hey their had to be one) Ugly as sin pickguards. Light Blue pearloid shark fine looking design on a white?!? Glad that thing is removeable without exposing any electronics!

3. I'm pretty much looking for a Jazz subsitute with a decent B. I was planing on buying one used. Now i'm not quite sure which i would like, the Kingston or a Heir. The only difference between the too is the J neck pickup on the Heir right? plus i guess the finish/topwood. Would this bass be a good slapper?

Oh and something i still don't understand about the tuning system, the bass still has open string notes right? B-E-A-D-G ? because it talked about moving the nut closer to the first fret i beleive, wouldn't this mess up the open string notes?

Thanks
    Dan

4. I have an Heir, before the Feiten tuning system, but I understand they take very little time to get used to. I also took the pickguard off mine. I just wish I knew what to do with the holes. I've thought about making a plexiglas copy of the guard, then I'd have something for the holes to do and the top would still be visible. Maybe even a black pickguard -- Mike Tobias says he still has a few. I'm also going to put an Aguilar OBP-3 into it in the next couple weeks.

5. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I'd look at the Heir if you want a more jazz substitute. I can get my kingston somewhat close to a J sound but the neck pick up on the heir will be able to achieve it much better.
    As far as slap, I don't slap much at all but from my limited abilities in slap it's pretty comfortable for a 5 string due to the 19mm spacing.

Sounds like you're coming from a J bass just like myself into one of these models. It might take you some slight adjustment to get used to the neck. It's much wider, but has an asymetrical profile which is very comfortable to play. But it did take me a couple evenings of practice to feel totally comfortable getting around the neck.

Yes, you still have the open notes. Everything is the same playing wise, it's just when the bass is intonated it balances the intonation past the octave better in my somewhat limited experience with it. If you stay sub 12th fret you probably won't notice the difference.

6. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    I have the pre Buzz Hier But I love it, I did put a active pre in it and it just came alive...the 05 Hier, I hear is going to be active and come without the pick gaurd so you might look for one of those :)

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

They are already out! Bass Central sells 'em for around $700, IIRC. Best price I found.

No commercial interest with BC -- I just almost bought one last week, so I'm just passing on the last word I got.

dcr

8. Sounds excellent, i'm not that turned off by the pickgaurd. From what i've seen of the new ones i think i like the pickgaurd ones better to tell the truth. But i'll never know really untill i get one in my hands.

What do the new actice models have control wise? bass,treble,blend... etc?

9. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Great bass - I have a white 5 with R/W board AND Aguilar OBP-1 (giving it stacks more tonal variation) + peavey HSC in vgc for $425.00 + shipping. PM if interested.