1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Kingstons and Heirs for $350-400 at MF, is this a mistake :s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Now I see what the BRB was for ;)

it must be some kind of sale price!

2. that heir is giving me a mild form of GAS!!!!!

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i might pick up one of the heirs. im selling my 6 string today or tomorrow. uh oh....

4. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Those MTD's are very cheap because they are discontinued models.

All MTD's are now actives. Time to hurry if you want to pick up a passive one!

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The specs show the Heir 5 as having an active 3-band preamp. Is that correct or a typo in the description? Did anyone check?

6. lets hope not.

7. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I was checking that too. Doesn't it just say volume and tone? (as in passive)

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    It says both I think.

Looking at the other descriptions, I'm guessing it has 5 controls with a 3-band EQ, but of course no picture on that one.

It seems to be pretty random in all the MTD bass descriptions (and maybe all the MF bass descriptions!)

If you click on 'view all MTD products' and look through the descriptions you'll see very little accuracy. It also looks like all the MTD Heir, Kingston and Artist basses are in the $400 and less range. Maybe that's their normal prices, I don't know.

9. Take screenshots.

I got a very expensive flight case for free because of a typo on their page once.

10. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    It is confusing for sure. Looks like they ganked the description from the 4 string and forgot to change that too.

OT: Sent you a PM.

11. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    this is the full description.....

Great for funk and slap styles with an amazing action.

The MTD Kingston Heir 4-String bass has all the same great features of the Kingston Artist and adds a Flamed Maple top and a single Jazz pickup in the neck position. Electronics and hardware are made in Korea to precisely match Bartolini and Hipshot s exacting specifications.

MTD Kingston Heir 5-String Bass Features:
    35" scale
    24 medium jumbo frets
    MTD bridge, 3/4" (19mm) spacing
    Zero fret 1 3/4" wide
    One-piece neck w/satin polyester finish
    Ash Body
    Volume and tone controls
    MTD exposed pole alnico J and MM pickups
    Shielded electronics compartment
    Carved Ash body
    No pick guard
    3-band active EQ

12. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks.

I was scanning it too fast and didn't see it when compared to the MTD site; where they didn't split the 'vol tone' and '3-band eq' in the descriptions.

I need to search and see if there are enough big differences b/t the Kingston Heir and a 55-02 to get one. I wish I could get that 'MTD sound' w/out paying 535 prices.:)

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is a very good deal. These basses have Lakland Skyline quality and this sale is letting them go for Squier prices. I may well order one tonight.:)

14. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I feeling ya. But if I do, I'll have to wait on the new Lakland electronics/pickups.

15. I wish Musicians Friend was available in the UK :(

16. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I figured with musiciansfriend.com send back policy, it was worth taking a change on one of these...so I ordered the Kingston Hier 5 a couple of weeks ago. Was expecting to find out that there was a miss print and that they would actually be shipping the old passive models. To my surprise, only two days later, when I opened the box I found out that sure enough (as the listing says), these are the current active models.

I suriously wonder if someone at musiciansfriend screwed up a bit, because they have the old list price of $749 on these, and I am pretty sure the current list is more.

I haven't really decided if I like the sound or not...it is awfully bright. Anyway, a pretty good bass for the money.

17. I actually have the MTD Heir fretless. The descriptions on MF are confusing. The active one's have an ash body, whereas the passives are basswood bodies (which is why I bought the active), but all they say on the description is "tone control". Plus, the actives don't have the ugly pickguard. Not to mention, the new models have the new bridge on them.

Personally, I would get a 55-02 over the MTD, but at those prices, it's hard to talk anyone out of buying them.

18. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hmm..almost makes me wanna sell my older Kingston Heir 4 (non active) and get the Trans Cherry active one they have.

Funny cuz they are listing the one I currently have at $429 and the one I like better at $359...Raar!

19. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Mike Tobias told me 2 years ago he wasn't using MF as a dealer any more.......these are either a mistake or something they dug up in their warehouse.....
    Plus MTD just brought out the Kingston "Z" check it out
    www.mtdbass.com