Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD "Marilyn #8" is on its way...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep, this is #8 in the "Marilyn" series (chambered body 535).

Specs:
    • Water Cured Redwood* top, headstock lam, and trussrod cover.
    • Chambered Alder body
    • Maple neck
    • Flamed and blistered Ebony fingerboard (you can see the diagonal waves in the pics if you look close)
    • 24 frets
    • 35" scale
    * As I learn about this stuff I see this wood sometimes also referred to as "Blackened Redwood", but I find that term to be pretty general, including everything from certain finishing techniques to the result of forest fires. Water Cured Redwood is the result of a VERY long natural process, much like, if not being, petrification.

Some quotes from Joel...
    Well, I'm not currently interested in selling my other 535, but apparently, I've lucked my way into yet another extra special one (all MTD's are incredible tho, IMHO). :)

I don't have the bass yet, but hopefully by Friday. If not, early next week. I'll do a review of it A/B'd with my "standard" 535 after I play with it a bit (see my Gear page for relatively poor pics of that one).

Here's pics (so I get to keep it :))...

EDIT: I figure it's obvious, but those beautiful pictures were courtesy of The Groove Shoppe, where I got the bass. They were in enough of a hurry to get the pics I requested and still ship the bass out earlier than I expected, that they didn't have a chance to brand the pics. In all fairness, I need to get them the props they're due for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oh my.......

I want an MTD so bad!!!

Beautiful, Vic!! Just amazing...

I love the blackened redwood top.

3. that looks like a killer bass!

4. theres a similar looking MTD at my local guitar center (larchmont) in bright yellow used for like 2300 i think

killer bass too btw hahah

5. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    WOW! :eek: i really really hate you right now. hehe

i loved your first 535 but this is just wow... im speechless. beautiful! i wish i had some money for an mtd and didnt live so far away!

i envy you!

6. no sound clips, no MTD!

j/k, killer bass man.

7. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Wow - what's the rough weight of it, do you know?

8. I just fell in love with "Marilyn"...

A beautiful bass!!!

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    :D

Actually, when I do my attempt at a A/B, I will try to record some clips that will contrast them as best I can. The Marilyn's are extremely hard to come by, so most folks won't get a chance to hear one, let alone play one.

I've been talking to Joel about these since last summer, and by the time he emailed me to say he had a couple more on the way, the sister to this one was already sold sight-unseen, and I just barely got this one.

The sister was a maple top'd model. I'm going to ask for TGS pics of it, but I expect they shipped ASAP and didn't get a chance. I specifically asked them to shoot mine... even if it meant waiting a few more days.

They were REALLY good to me tho, they did a quick photo shoot and will ship today. I'm going to pay extra for overnight so I can have it before the weekend.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'll let you know. I meant to ask about this as well. My other MTD is a bit on the heavy side, so it's tone is massive, but I do notice the weight after a night of playing. The thing is, if these weren't designed so well, it'd be a bit of a problem for me, but these just hang and fit so great, it's really not.

Now imagine all that tone down under the 9 pound range, which is where I figure this one will be. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I assume this Marilyn series is also 35" scale?

12. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    WOW, that looks nice. Hope it sounds/plays as good as it looks!

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sigh,

MTD's always get me... one day I think I'll get one...

14. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Wow! That is a beautiful bass...

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    That is gorgeous. Congratulations!

And, if anyone takes better pictures of basses than Joel at TGS, please point me to them. I am currently using a Redwood topped 635 from TGS as the wallpaper on my home machine.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yep, all Marilyns are in the 535 product family. At some point, maybe there'll be a Marilyn 635? Not for me, but I bet it'd sound awesome.

17. What is the process for doing a "blackened" redwood top. I'm assuming it isn't a dry rub, then seared in a cast iron skillet?:D

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Funny you should ask. I aslo want to know, and haven't researched it yet, but definitely will. If someone knows or finds the answer, please post here. I'll be starting to dig into it today.

I do know it's not a finish process done by the luthier. It's a "curing" process of the wood itself before the luthier ever touches it. If you look at Tom Bowlus' bass blog, he's got a shot of a chunk of it from Mike's shop.

Whatever it is, it's either expensive to do, extremely hard to come by, or both. It's the most expensive top Mike offers, and I think that's also true of everyone who offers this as a figure wood. Can't recall where else I've seen it (Zon? Smith? USA Spector?), but I have seen it used on at least one other brand.

20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet!!! :hyper:

Gotta get myself a MTD someday.....