Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD or Fender???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mondo, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    I am looking at buying a new bass and would like some help?? I am looking at a MTD Kingston Heir or a Fender MIM Jazz bass?? Also when i play i use my hands i have never really used a pick and MTD lets you chose your fretboard in Rosewood or Maple, The Fender Jazz only comes with a Rosewood fretboard?? I play everything from Jazz to Metal so which fretboards is better for my playing??

mondo@bassplayer.cc

2. Between those two, I think I'd go for the MTD Heir, especially if you're thinking about a 5.

Mike

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The rosewood board will give a touch more warmth, and a touch less snap to the sound.

I own a MIM Jazz and have played MTD's, though not the Heir. I've played 535, Beast, and Kingstons. I'd say, based on that, if you're into metal, get neither...you're better off with a P-bass.

Between the two, though, I'd pick the MTD any day.

4. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    Well as far as playing goes I play alot more Jazz and real melodic bass lines. Some of my Favs. are Tool, Rage, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Incubus, Cold, and for the really heavy stuff i do not really play that often mybe a couple of times a week.

mondo@bassplayer.cc

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
  6. id go with MTD for sure!

7. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Fender.
    Nice diversity of opinions, huh?

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I GOT IT!
    I have and MIJ jazz and an MTD Heir. Both four strings. Both passive with 2 volume and 1 tone knob. Both great instruments each with a different fundamental tone. As expected I think it depends on the style your playing. The MTD K has a great modern tone the jazz has the great woody low end.

If your set on getting a five though get the MTD.

I still would like to get a P-bass though. If you want the P-bass tone get a P-bass.

9. I'd probably go with the MTD with a rosewood fretboard.

Oh BTW, how is the arm?