1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD OR LAKLAND??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjizzel, May 11, 2011.

1. kjizzel

kjizzel

Jan 13, 2011
    Which bass would you choose and why? im in a delemma...

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    If I had the choice betwen only MTD or Lakland I#d go MTD( that is if it was a "proper" Mike Tobias made one)
    It's just that I don't like lakland basses very much-the feel and tone on those I have tried so far is just not for me.

3. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    what's your delemma [sic]?

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I forgot to ask that...:)

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    MTD > Lakland
    MTD Kingston < Lakland Skyline

6. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I owned MTD and Lakland fivers back to back - IMO, Lakland wins in tone & feel (but not by a huge margin), although I was equally impressed with the quality/craftsmanship of both.

7. kjizzel

kjizzel

Jan 13, 2011
    well I have the kingston MTD and im just not getting the low end like I want.. I play anything from Funk to Gospel and Its not giving that raw deep end like im looking for.. so maybe yall may have some different suggestions.. thank you

8. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I do not play funk or gospel, but a good friend of mine does. He plays a Ken Smith bass. I do not know the model though.

9. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    I swapped out the stock electronics for Barts in my kingston and now it sounds fantastic. I vote for MTD because Lakland sounds to middsy to me and MTD has that nice deep bottom and glassy top.

10. Personally, I'd go for the one that doesn't suck. No offense to the basses out there that suck though.

11. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Turn the bass knob up on your amp.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Kwesi do you have any idea how many basses that suck, that you may have offended?

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not a big fan of Fendery stuff, so I'd go MTD for sure.

14. kjizzel

kjizzel

Jan 13, 2011
    well I guess it must be the GK cab and head that im using.. some other bass players have told me that they do not like GK stuff..

15. I'd go with Lakland all the Way. 55-02 is a very versatile Bass with very good Craftmanship and Tons of Tone.

It's that I like a little more the "classical Look" of the Lakis. MTD's are to modern to me.

16. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    No low end - yup - first time I picked up an MTD Kingston I was wowed - loved the basswood, loved the looks, loved the light weight.....but the TONE - or lack of - was not waht I am fond of. Very "springy", sounds like it would be good for funk, but no beefy bottom end!

Chris