MTD Problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jmann, May 23, 2005.

1. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I go to jam out with the band earlier and i plugged my MTD up and started playing. It sounded distorted, more of a tube OD thing, but distorted. first thing i thought was "effin tubes" then plugged my rick in... no distortion... my SX... no distortion... Warwick... no distortion... what the hell is going on? why does my usually super clean sounding MTD sound distorted? Please help...

and I had an idea... I like having 24 frets. My mtd has 21. I was looking at 24 fret MTD's on bass central and it looked like the trussrod cover was shorter so there would be room for 3 more frets. would it be possible to get a trussrod cover made with a 3 fret extention? I think mike pope has something like this on his Fodera, but i could be wrong
  2. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Sounds to me like you need to change the battery.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1 on changing the battery and also check and see if it has an internal trim pot for it's active electronics; it may be turned up too much and is causing the front end of your amp to overload.

If all else fails, drop an email to Michael Tobias. I was looking at a used MTD 535 on ebay about a year ago. I emailed Michael with some questions about it's finish. He responded quickly and he seems like a nice guy. I'm pretty sure he'll help you get things sorted out with your MTD.

4. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I changed the battery first thing... still distorted... Its like its ODing the amp. I actually put the same batery in my fretless and it was fine
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    trim the pre-amp output with the trim thingie dingie. :D

Excellent question regarding the trussrod cover. I think the body on the 24 fret models is sculpted differently for better access to the higher frets, wouldnt be suprised if Mike advised against it but would probably do it for you as he is very accomodating and builds THE BADDEST BASSES IN THE WORLD. :eek:
  6. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i feel like a n00b... i put an old battery in it... it was the battery...

but anyway i also loke my MTD
  7. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Class! That sounds just like something I'd do, like selling a Trace combo for lack of low end clarity only to discover it was my bass that was crap.