Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Saratoga 5 asking $875/Trade

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Mike Dimin, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    This is an absolutely mint condition, tobacco sunburst MTD Saratoga 5. The bass is strung E A D G C with new Thomastik Infeld Jazz Rounds and was set up this way by Mike Tobias. It is a wonderful playing and sounding bass and comes with an MTD gig bag. I just got a new MTD American 535 and this bass is no longer needed. Here is a description from the MTD website.

MTD Saratoga basses are available in 34" scale 4 string or , 35" scale 5 string models. They feature an ergonomically carved Basswood body with a figured Maple top and marching headstock. The bolt-on neck is made of Eastern hard rock Maple and has a two-octave Rosewood or Maple fingerboard. The one-piece neck is carved with a "relieved" neck heel for that "neck-through" feel. Color options are Amber, Dark Cherry, and Tobacco Sunburst. Saratoga basses are available in a lined fretless Ebonol fingerboard in Amber.

Bill Bartolini designed a custom J style pickup set that has steel and ceramic magnets and the 2-band electronics blend. The electronic configuration is: master volume, blend, stacked bass and treble, with a midrange tone select for slap/flat/fingerstyle. Hardware includes the Style B bridge and Ultralite tuning machines by Hipshot. The Buzz Feiten Tuning System is used on all fretted MTD basses. All Saratoga basses are delivered with MTD strings.

The Saratoga Specifications:

34" scale 4 string
    35" scale 5 string
    24 medium jumbo frets
    Zero fret 1 5/8" wide, 4 string
    Zero fret 1 7/8" wide, 5 string
    Hipshot bridge, 3/4" (19mm) spacing
    One-piece neck w/satin polyester finish
    Carved basswood body (8mm thick figured maple top)
    Master volume, blend, bass, treble, midrange select
    Bartolini ceramic and steel J pickups
    Copper foil shielded electronics compartment Buzz Feiten Tuning System

I'll throw in a set of Ti Jazz Rounds B,E,A,D and G for the more traditional 5 String player. I will also consider a partial trade for a very high qaulity double electric bass gig bag (reunion blues, Undercover, etc)

Thanks for looking
    Mike

2. reentune

reentune

Aug 16, 2004
    Could you send some pics to rhyne@stuffmagazine.com?
    The fact that it's set up with a high C is a big plus. That's the way I like my 5s.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    pics sent

Mike