MTD Saratoga 5 asking $875/Trade

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Mike Dimin, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    This is an absolutely mint condition, tobacco sunburst MTD Saratoga 5. The bass is strung E A D G C with new Thomastik Infeld Jazz Rounds and was set up this way by Mike Tobias. It is a wonderful playing and sounding bass and comes with an MTD gig bag. I just got a new MTD American 535 and this bass is no longer needed. Here is a description from the MTD website.

MTD Saratoga basses are available in 34" scale 4 string or , 35" scale 5 string models. They feature an ergonomically carved Basswood body with a figured Maple top and marching headstock. The bolt-on neck is made of Eastern hard rock Maple and has a two-octave Rosewood or Maple fingerboard. The one-piece neck is carved with a "relieved" neck heel for that "neck-through" feel. Color options are Amber, Dark Cherry, and Tobacco Sunburst. Saratoga basses are available in a lined fretless Ebonol fingerboard in Amber.

Bill Bartolini designed a custom J style pickup set that has steel and ceramic magnets and the 2-band electronics blend. The electronic configuration is: master volume, blend, stacked bass and treble, with a midrange tone select for slap/flat/fingerstyle. Hardware includes the Style B bridge and Ultralite tuning machines by Hipshot. The Buzz Feiten Tuning System is used on all fretted MTD basses. All Saratoga basses are delivered with MTD strings.

The Saratoga Specifications:

34" scale 4 string
    35" scale 5 string
    24 medium jumbo frets
    Zero fret 1 5/8" wide, 4 string
    Zero fret 1 7/8" wide, 5 string
    Hipshot bridge, 3/4" (19mm) spacing
    One-piece neck w/satin polyester finish
    Carved basswood body (8mm thick figured maple top)
    Master volume, blend, bass, treble, midrange select
    Bartolini ceramic and steel J pickups
    Copper foil shielded electronics compartment Buzz Feiten Tuning System

I'll throw in a set of Ti Jazz Rounds B,E,A,D and G for the more traditional 5 String player. I will also consider a partial trade for a very high qaulity double electric bass gig bag (reunion blues, Undercover, etc)

Thanks for looking
  2. reentune

Aug 16, 2004
    Could you send some pics to
    The fact that it's set up with a high C is a big plus. That's the way I like my 5s.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    pics sent